Find the answer to your Linux question:
there is a directory eg. /home/edp/ , all the files under this directory : 1. the file and directory owner is "user1" , 2. the permission is 644 I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ust
    Just Joined!

The file permission

there is a directory eg. /home/edp/ , all the files under this directory :
    1. the file and directory owner is "user1" ,
    2. the permission is 644

I want everyone hv permission to overwrite all files and write a new file to it , but I want the file owner and permssion keep unchange , could suggest what can I do ? thx

I hv one suggestion but not sure whether it will work , because I know the password of "user1" , is it OK to su to the userid "user1" before copy the file ? as I know , the similiar command like below can su to another user before rcp file , but I try it but it is fail to run at localhost , could suggest is it possible ? thx

Further to my suggestion , is it OK to su to the userid "user1" before copy the file ? as I know , the similiar command like below can su to another user before rcp file , but I try it but it is fail to run at localhost , could suggest is it possible ? thx

rcp file user1@remote_host:/home/edp

First off, I can barely understand what you're asking...

Secondly, why not change the permissions? If you want everyone to be able to do everything, then set the permissions to 777, it's that easy.

Linux User
    I would do the same as Cabhan said, just change the permissions to the certain directory you wish to change.

Code:
    su
    enter root password
    chmod -c 777 [i]directory[/i]
    I believe that's right, but if not, correct me if I'm wrong...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close