Find the answer to your Linux question:
this is sort of a follow up to my previous posts regarding RipperX which works well now! (thanks dolda) - In windows when I rip and encode a CD i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

S L O W Oggenc

this is sort of a follow up to my previous posts regarding RipperX which works well now! (thanks dolda) - In windows when I rip and encode a CD i can (a) do it simultaneously... (B) do it in around 12 mins or less and (c) don't notice much processor overhead when doing so...

Here's my problem
    (a) It can only encode a track that had already been completely ripped (understandable.. no need to address)
    (B) It hiccups often while encoding... not processor related -=- While watching top with no-idle mode on I see oggenc appear and disappear at regular interverls - it pops up with around 33% and then goes idle - then pops back up and goes idle... you get the idea
    (c) the process takes approxiimatley 35 mins for a 12 track CD -> this is WAAAY too much... I could boot to win (if it was installed) rip and be back in linux in less time...

Any help would be much appreciated

Cole

Linux Guru
    What medium do you store the ripped tracks on?

Linux Newbie

from CD -> HD

The tracks are taken from the CD - they rpi fine - 10-12 tracks in under 15mins -> It's the encoding process... they are ripped from the CD to the HD as WAV files (DUH) and then converted in the same directory from WAV to OGG...

Is there a way that I could maybe increase the priority for oggenc everytime it runs?

Linux Guru
    It almost sounds to me as if oggenc is slow because it's waiting for input. Could you time a cat of a track to /dev/null, like this:
    Code:
    command time cat track.wav >/dev/null

Linux Newbie
    DrSpin:/home/cole/Phish - Slip, Stitch & Pass # command time cat "Phish - 05 - Mike's Song.wav" > /dev/null
    0.02user 0.61system 0:09.21elapsed 6%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
    0inputs+0outputs (125major+18minor)pagefaults 0swaps
    I ran that WHILE encoding another file...

Cole

Linux Guru
    Hmmm... so that wasn't it. Sorry, but then I don't know. At least it seems to have with oggenc to do, and not the rest of the system.

Linux Enthusiast
    I just encoded files yesterday using grip and it worked perfectly for oggs.