Find the answer to your Linux question:
I seem to be having some problems with viewing foreign characters in Firefox. For example, examining a page in Wikipedia with Chinese characters shows me, instead of the characters, a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Viewing Non-English Characters in Firefox

I seem to be having some problems with viewing foreign characters in Firefox. For example, examining a page in Wikipedia with Chinese characters shows me, instead of the characters, a bunch of boxes with the (I assume) unicode numbers for that character.

Also, on my Xanga page, I get symbols like this:

When I view the page in Lynx, there is nothing there. Viewing it in Konqueror shows me *'s.

My keyboard is set to en_US, though I can change the layout to Spanish and see those characters:

Ǻ

So I am very confused. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

EDIT:

Oh, and viewing the Wikipedia page in Konqueror shows me little boxes instead of the Chinese characters. Viewing it in Lynx shows me the & numbers.

Linux Engineer
    That happens to me with some asian signs, dont know from which country, even I am using a norvegian keybord and can write spanish and norvegian etc. characters (...)

Are you sure the font you're using a font which supports chinese signs? I have stubled over a lot of fonts which don't support the norvegian charset...

Well, I've done some playing around. Switching to other fonts, such as Arial, have not helped.

In my Xanga, I can get it showing properly if I set my character encoding to either:

Western (Windows-1252)
    or
    Auto-Detect: Universal

However, neither of these enables chinese characters. Is there anything else I can do?

Linux Engineer
    I think maybe there are own font-sets to enable chinese characters... But I don't know for sure.

Just Joined!
    I get those question marks on English pages, too. Sometimes where apostrophe's are. I've experienced this in Firefox on Linux, and on Windows.

Who knows.

Linux Engineer
    Are you sure you even have the language packs installed?

To ensure that I had a Chinese character set, I emerged one. Still doesn't work.

Also, manually changing the encoding to a Chinese one still does nothing.

Any other ideas?

Just Joined!

Adding character set support in Firefox/linux

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I seem to be having some problems with viewing foreign characters in Firefox. For example, examining a page in Wikipedia with Chinese characters
    Add the character set to your computer. For example,
    (as root)
    Korean:
    yum install ttfonts-ko

Chinese simplified:
    yum install ttfonts-zh_CN

Chinese traditional:
    yum install ttfonts-zh_TW

Then restart firefox with character set auto-detect and you should be fine.