Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking of getting VMware to learn samba. I'll use VMware to have a couple virtual XP pro machines in Fedora and have a little test network for the samba ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

who uses vmware?

I'm thinking of getting VMware to learn samba. I'll use VMware to have a couple virtual XP pro machines in Fedora and have a little test network for the samba server.

This will work, right? Does anyone that uses it have any comments about VMware?

It'll be 110 for the academic downloadable linux version.
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Just Joined!

Yes it will work.

It should work like a champ. Use bridged networking so each machine will have its own IP on the same subnet. Then treat them like they are 2 physical machines. I secure copy (scp) and secure shell (ssh) between my linux host and xp guest with no issues.

Dean.

Linux Newbie
    Have you thought about qemu?

I am pretty sure it can do networking, and its free!

Just somthing to look into before you go spending money.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've tried both vmware and qemu. Only major thing qemu is missing is ability to take snapshots (useful to returning to a paticular state). Also virtual disk drives. In qemu say you want a 10GB partition...it must be fully allocated. In vmware you can have it virtually allocated on as it fills up.

Qemu being free is awesome. XEN might just in a year or so blow qemu away from what I've been reading.

Linux Newbie
    I downloaded the trial version of vmware and I like it a lot. Allows me to mess around with a 'test' lan and play around with samba, use quicken, dreamweaver, etc etc.

Does anyone know where I can download a system policy editor for 2000/nt/xp? (for use with samba) As far as I know it only comes on 2k server and nt server cd's.

im going to a conference about vmware apparently you get a free copy of workstation 5 or something. i wonder how good it is

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by emmabugg
    im going to a conference about vmware apparently you get a free copy of workstation 5 or something. i wonder how good it is
    Let us know how it goes

Linux Newbie
    I was gonna go to one of those conferences (just for the free copy of VMWare 5 :P) but it turns out they don't have any in the UK .
    I used VMWare a lot when I was new to linux and I used it on Windows to run linux so I didn't kill Windows accidentally .