Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Certainly, RPM is a good thing for people who aren't very technical, and I, too, appreciate the ability to query the package belonging of files. I still think that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Certainly, RPM is a good thing for people who aren't very technical, and I, too, appreciate the ability to query the package belonging of files. I still think that the advantages of compiling from source outweighs that, though.
    I'm also thinking about modifying my /bin/install so that it saves depencies to a file, just like RPMs.

PA
    Just Joined!
    That might be interesting--I'm sure you'll let us all know how you get if you decide to go ahead. I don't know enough about 'install' but, maybe you could just write a shell wrapper for it?

Linux Guru
    I was actually intending to edit the source code, but that is a very good idea that hadn't crossed my mind. If anything, I was planning to do this with Berkeley DB, and I know of no shell interface program for it, but maybe I could do it with something else than BDB.

That is if I'm going to do it at all; I know for sure that I won't do it right now, since my main workstation recently suffered complete hardware meltdown.

PA
    Just Joined!
    I'll be perfectly honest and say that I've read the man page for 'install' but can't figure out what, if anything, it does that you can't do with plain old 'cp'. I've never even looked at BDB but I imagine it comes with, at least, some command line utilities for managing a database, if not an SQL interpreter of some sort. In this case, I'm pretty sure you could manipulate either of these from a shell script.

I wish my machine would suffer hardware meltdown--I want a holiday!

Linux Guru
    The difference between install and cp is essentially that install also incorporates the functionality of chmod and chown, so essentially it's just a shortcut for calling cp, chmod and chown in sequence, which is why the installation scripts tend to prefer it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2