Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Look at this, one wont install without the other but cant install either.. WTF [root@knightmare knightmare]# rpm -ivh mplayer-0.90-1.i686.rpm error: Failed dependencies: mplayer-common = 0.90 is needed by mplayer-0.90-1 [root@knightmare ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ok, this is nuts...

Look at this, one wont install without the other but cant install either.. WTF

[root@knightmare knightmare]# rpm -ivh mplayer-0.90-1.i686.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    mplayer-common = 0.90 is needed by mplayer-0.90-1
    [root@knightmare knightmare]# rpm -ivh mplayer-common-0.90-1.i686.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    mplayer = 0.90 is needed by mplayer-common-0.90-1

Linux Guru
    Try this:
    Code:
    rpm -ihv mplayer-0.90-1.i686.rpm mplayer-common-0.90-1.i686.rpm

Linux Enthusiast
    if that doesn't work check this out:

http://members.rogers.com/ctmlinux/atrpms.html

makes installing software in red hat 9 wayyyy easier

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Might I suggest compiling from source? It will give you better options hence it will be better optimized. For a program like this, I'd compile it.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    i recomend compiling everything you can from source.

Linux User
    OR you could use Gentoo and type emerge mplayer and be done with it No but seriously compiling by source is the only way to go. I only ever used RPM's for small pain in the ass lib files.

Linux Enthusiast
    compiling from source has always been a an absolute nightmare for me.
    dependency errors, can't find this, can't find that, more of a pita to uninstall.
    atrpms kickstart is king!

PA
    Just Joined!
    Dolda2000 has the right idea. If you can't install either of two (or more) inter-dependent packages, you must install them all at the same time.
    Don't listen to any of that compliling from source nonsense! RPM was invented to get away from that sort of nightmare. The only reason I'd compile something would be to put it into a new .rpm file...

Linux Guru
    You're crazy! Compiling from source is almost always better. You get away from the great black pit of RPM dependencies and then even deeper pit of binary dependencies. You can also optimize the package for your hardware and system, and you have the source available when you need to change something.

The only time I use RPMs is when I don't want to wait for something to compile.

PA
    Just Joined!
    Well you're right about RPMs being a 'black pit of depencencies' but, if you know that something definitely isn't needed, you can always give the
    --nodeps argument. I just like the fact that you can see exactly what's installed on your system, see what package each file belongs to and easily uninstall stuff too. With compiled-from-source software and pre-compiled tarballs, you're never sure exactly what files have been installed and to where. I know the make command has an option where you can just see what would be done without actually doing it but you still have to sift through the output of that to see what's being copied where. There are clear advantages to compiling from source but, basically, I can appreciate that most people just want to get some real work done on their computer without having to be a scientist--afterall, you don't have to build a car every time you want to go to the shops and neither would you want to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast