Find the answer to your Linux question:
This has probably been beaten to death so please bare with me. Does anyone offer a newsreader for Linux that supports/simulates Microsoft's SPA? I'm looking for the functionality that Outlook ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Newsreader that supports SPA ???

This has probably been beaten to death so please bare with me. Does anyone offer a newsreader for Linux that supports/simulates Microsoft's SPA? I'm looking for the functionality that Outlook Express offers ... ability to access IMAP servers and use SPA. I take college classes online and have recently switched to Mandrake Linux 9.1 from Windows XP and in order to access my classroom newsgroups and email SPA and IMAP are both required.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Linux Guru
    SPA? Is that some M$-specific thing (that would explain why I haven't heard about it)? If it is, don't the servers support some other (standard) secure authentication method? If the don't, try asking the administrators about installing such. Some administrators do understand the need of using other OSs.

Just Joined!
    SPA is Secure Password Authentication and is definately a Microsoft thing designed to rule the Exchange world. I remember hearing in the past that there were some linux developers working to replicate SPA in a Linux based newsreader and was hoping someone might know if this ever happened and where I might locate it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I can't say that I've heard anything about it, but try to configure kmail to use the account, and see if you can use the "LOGIN" authentication method under "Extras", to see if SPA might just be another name for it.
    If that doesn't work, I know that Ximian has licensed some technology from Microsoft to develop their "Connector" software for Evolution, which allows Evolution to communicate with some MS software. It isn't free,though; they couldn't make it free, since they had to license the technology from M$. I don't know if it includes SPA, though. In fact, I don't even know if it integrates at all with IMAP; it might be only for communicating with M$ Exchange servers, but I guess that you can send a mail to Ximian and ask them about it.

Linux Engineer
    I Didnt understand really what this topic was about, but both Ximian and Kmail works fine to integrate with an MS Exchange server if that was the question..? i Have tried both at work agasinst our server with successful result.
    Regards

Andutt