Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I've just switched from XP over to mandrake 10.1 and i'm trying to use wine to run some of my windows progs... like wow haha. Wine is installed, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine won't let me install anything

Hey,

I've just switched from XP over to mandrake 10.1 and i'm trying to use wine to run some of my windows progs... like wow haha. Wine is installed, it runs notepad the clock and everything that was installed with it but i can't install anything to it. When i try to execute an install it says that i may not beable to install the program because i'm out of disk space.

Now i'm not to sure how wine works exactly so ... do i need to keep a windows partition to install programs on to or does it install to the partition that the program is running on(the linux partition). I've got more than enough room for it on that partition but i have not made a windows partition or it to install things to. I was thinking thats why i was getting that error.

I just want to clarify before i do something stupid that i don't need to do.

Thanks.

You don't need a Windows partition. Wine uses space on your linux partition to "fake" a Windows install.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    do you have any ideas why it won't let me install anything then because as of right now that is how i've got it set up...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, not really...I've moved away from Microsoft software entirely on my personal systems and do not use wine (although I think it's a great project).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    thats cool, i just want to play WoW... thats the only reason i need it. I think i may have found the problem.... so i'm going to recompile it when i get home and install it again.

Thanks for the help though.

Just Joined!
    Are you sure you know how to use it? Go to the directory with file in it, open shell in directory, type
    Code:
    wine programname.exe
    Did you do that?

Linux Engineer
    there is also a nice little app, i think winesetuptk, which will set up your .wine/config in case you have a problem with it and it causes things to not work properly. Wine can be some work to get something to run under; however, I have found many programs that run much faster under wine than under xp
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by VashOnFS!
    Are you sure you know how to use it? Go to the directory with file in it, open shell in directory, type
    Code:
    wine programname.exe
    Did you do that?

i also have a lot of problems with wine.everytime i type this: wine myprograms.exe he give me back this : wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\programname.exe": Module not found