Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello again - I'm looking for a utility that will execute a traceroute and tell me where in the world the location of each hit is... In other words if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Advanced traceroute

hello again -
    I'm looking for a utility that will execute a traceroute and tell me where in the world the location of each hit is...

In other words if I want to know where each router is located, like on a map, that the data packet passes through, what would I use... there was something like this that I used on windows and I can't remember what it was... there was also a firewall I used - which had this purpose - it's not available on LINUX -> wouldn't run it under wine because of it's nature...

Cole

Linux Newbie

found one

here's the first one I came across on google

http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Soft...sualRoute.html

It seems that it's shareware (ie closed source) $49.95 to purchase single user license

maybe find some on freshmeat ?!?

Cole

Linux Guru
    It's not always possible, since far from all DNS entries have a LOC RR. However, try xtraceroute. If it's possible to deduce where the routers are, it will show you a 3D globe of the earth with all the hops pointed out.

Linux Engineer
    I used xtraceroute a couple of times its pretty cool although it is not allwase acurate (sometimes it would get hits way out in space;))