Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm the only one using my RH9 system. I installed mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.7.8 , not using the full installer but the "tar.gz format". What happens is I just unpack the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which folder should I install mozilla to?

I'm the only one using my RH9 system. I installed mozilla from http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.7.8, not using the full installer but the "tar.gz format". What happens is I just unpack the file into an archive, and run mozilla from there. My question is: most files should be installed into /usr or /usr/local right? I can't do that as a normal user, I have to do that as root. If I did that as root would other users be able to run mozilla? How do I allow them to do that?

Linux Engineer
    If you set the permissions to 755 (owner can read, write and execute, others can only read and execute) everyone can run them. But I think the permissionss are taken care of by default. If you want to, you could install mozilla to /opt/mozilla, thats where I install many other such binary, not-packaged installers if I use them (for example amsn or firefox). /usr/local/bin is the default if you compile yourself.

If you are the only user you could install it to your home. That way you avoid conflicts and troubles. I use firefox from /home/puntmuts/firefox .
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    So you would do
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 {name of directory}
    ?

So what are the different folders used for? What's the difference between /sbin, /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local, and /opt?

No, I install it as the user so there is no need to chmod anything.
    I\'m so tired .....