Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've already searched the gentoo forums with no success... in short: 1 - anyone have the mplayer plugins working properly in mozilla 1.4 ? 2 - I get this Fsck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Mount fat32 in Gentoo???

I've already searched the gentoo forums with no success...

in short:

1 - anyone have the mplayer plugins working properly in mozilla 1.4 ?

2 - I get this Fsck could not correct errors, manual repair needed every time I boot. I skip it and everything works fine. This is known as a bug and I found one fix, but I didn't want risk facking my install up. Is there another easier and safer way?

3 - What if any is the command to emerge flashplayer?

4 - How can I mount my fat32 windass drives? I have this on my guide, but it does not work in gentoo.

Linux User
    1. They work just fine for me.

2. I get that too every once and a while, I have no idea what it is myself but there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my system.

3. If you're looking for the mozilla flash plug in, it's emerge netscape-flash. BTW, locate s a great way to see if somethings in the portage tree.

4. Not sure, sorry.

Linux Enthusiast
    1 - mine actually will look like it is going to play but then opens mplayer in full screen mode and it just hangs there - weird!

2 - k, i know nothing is really wrong, but it is annoying

3 - thanks, i will check that out

4 - no one seems to be able to help with this.

* new:

when I stream music thru shoutcast, it only comes out of one of my four speakers - an audio cd will play fine.

Linux User
    Back to number 4, try mount -t vfat drive. When you play movies with mplayer, does it always go to fullscreen? It did that to me by default as well, just edit the /etc/mplayer.conf and change the line from fs=yes to no if you haven't already. As for the fsck thing, how did you fix it?

Linux Enthusiast
    I've tried -t vfat and it creates a directory of the same name *within* the created directory and only root has access to it

i didn't fix the fsck thing, i just know it is not a big problem, more of an annoyance

i already disabled starting in fullscreen, it was the first thing i did actually.

also, any word on when a new java version will be added to portage? the latest one there is 1.4.1 and the java plugin for mozilla no workey

Linux Enthusiast
    anyone else??

this is really buggin me

help would be appreciated

Linux Guru
    Can you describe the symptoms when you mount a vfat drive more thoroughly? And, check for kernel messages.

Linux Enthusiast
    when I attempt to mount the drive like this:

mount /dev/hda1 /home/ctm/windows
    mount /dev/hdb1 /home/ctm/winmusic

I see a locked directory created in each of the abovementioned.

If I log in as root, I can access the files, but it doesn't explain why the extra directory is created within the intended one.

I heard of someone having this same problem with knoppix/debian lately and the trick was to use different id #'s than 500 which are the ones I use as an example on my guide.
    I typed "id" in the terminal and got 1000 and 100 for uid and gid respectively. I made the required changes in fstab and it still didn't work. I would even settle for being able to mount them from the terminal with root perms as user so at least I can access the files. I would prefer to get that accomplished first so I don't waste time with incorrect entries in fstab.
    When that 'locked' directory is created, if I click on it to open it (not that I can as user) I get a message saying that "it appears that the directory no longer exists".

Linux Guru
    Now that is certainly strange. Can you run "stat" on the strange directory and post what it returns?

Linux Enthusiast
    yup, here it is:

Code:
    stat /home/ctm/windows/windows/
      File: `/home/ctm/windows/windows/'
      Size: 32768           Blocks: 64         IO Block: 16384  Directory
    Device: 301h/769d       Inode: 19          Links: 69
    Access: (0744/drwxr--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
    Access: 2003-06-27 17:23:48.000000000 +0000
    Modify: 2003-06-27 17:23:48.000000000 +0000
    Change: 2003-06-27 17:23:46.000000000 +0000
    you can see how it is creating another directory called "windows" within the one I created.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast