Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally get a chance to download Samba. After the download its not a RPM file like i wished it would be so i read part of the UNIX_INSTALLATION.html file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Help!

I finally get a chance to download Samba. After the download its not a RPM file like i wished it would be so i read part of the UNIX_INSTALLATION.html file and did exactly what they told me to install Samba but when i go to the Konsole and type in ./configure i get and error message that says:

User@dhcppc3:~/Desktop/Samba/samba-2.2.8a/source> ./configure
    loading cache ./config.cache
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Ok first tell me if i did the first step by typing the ./configure command in the right place? Then, what is gcc and cc and i guess i need it cause i cannot proceed with the installation? If so what do i NEED to do to get this thing working properly at least installing it!

Linux Enthusiast
    what distro again? (sorry I know I have asked 1,000 times, but you don't ever seem to put it in your posts! lol)

if you want to compile anything at all you need gcc, if you want to use rpm files, you don't need it.

I pretty much always get samba from atrpms or from rpmfind.net

Just Joined!
    My Linux Distro is Suse 8.2 personal edition. I already know how to installl RPM's but how about something like in this case? With the gcc and the cc it all gets confusing. Where can i get these compilers? Also i think that the link that u gave me (rpmfinder.net) is great but i can never seem to find the file that associates with the Suse distro. I always find every other distro of linux there besides Suse.

Linux Enthusiast
    get apt-get for suse, it will make life a lot easier

Linux Guru
    You can probably find GCC on one of your installation CDs. I don't use SuSE, but I'm sure that it has some kind of add/remove package program that you can use to install GCC.

Just Joined!
    DOlda yup i found it in the Yast configuration tool. AFter i installed the compiliers i got a chance to do actually go farther with the installation but then something happened. Yowww i found the RPM file and tried that but for some reason it didnt install, so ill try later. oh yea and the DNS was messed up so i fixed that and my linux comp has internet again!

Linux Guru
    What was the other thing that happened?