Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello - I just installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 on an older Apple 3400c notebook. Is there a battery status monitor available on the PPC architecture? Cole...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Battery status monitor

Hello -
    I just installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 on an older Apple 3400c notebook. Is there a battery status monitor available on the PPC architecture?

Cole

Linux Guru
    I checked the kernel source, and it seems that the PPC architecture has a cool feature called RTAS (RunTime Abstraction Services), which provides a nice user interface to a couple of hardware features of PPC platforms. Personally, I haven't got a PPC computer running Linux, but from the docs I'd give you this suggestion: Try "cat /proc/rtas/sensors".

Linux Newbie

Nada

I'm assuming that the features that you speak of are in the later g3, g4 and g5 processors... This comp has a 603ev (a g3 before it was so named) -> pmud is what it uses and I'm still learning how it all works... I'll psot back when I know - you don't know do you?

Cole

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I have almost no PPC experience, so, sorry, but no.

Just Joined!
    Im not sure what PPC is, but my laptop is pc based, so it probably doesnt have anything to do with me. I have the same question though. On RH8, in KDE there is an option to have the battery monitor displayed on the toolbar. But the problem is, according to that display, Im always running on AC power (plugged in) even when im not. Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    hmmm try readin ght docs on that part of KDE - you could also try posting this in the X forum - doubt you'll get much of a response here...