Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am very new to linux, less than a week....i just am so sick of microsoft..anyways my question is.....i loaded real player for linux on my computer, but i didn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uninstalling software

i am very new to linux, less than a week....i just am so sick of microsoft..anyways my question is.....i loaded real player for linux on my computer, but i didn't make it available except in root. So how can i uninstall it and install in correctly. i have an idea on how to reinstall it right now (bought "Linux for Dummies")..any help would be appreciated and don't be suprised to hear from me again...lol

Linux Engineer
    What errormessage do you get, are you sure that you just dont have the directorys where your software are located in your PATH variable. In that case you should get an errormessage like:

command/file not found
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    well i put the file in my root folder and typed rpm -ivvh (filename) it did a lot of scrolling and real player open up after that but i can't find it anywhere..so i'm assuming that it's installed in root somewhere not accessible. any ideas on what i can do? i'm not really getting an error until i try to install it again

Linux Enthusiast
    are you actually logged in as root? :o

you should be logged in as user and just use root priveleges in the terminal to install things.

you might wanna check out the easy linux guide in my sig below.

realplayer is probably installed for both u and root, check your menu item to see what the command is and then edit your menu in user mode to add it to the menu - let's hope you are using kde.

Linux Enthusiast
    mods can delete

(original posted twice for some reason)

Linux Engineer
    i think that if you install something when you are logged in as root it will only give root user permission to execute it you need to make it executable by users too. im kinda new to linux too so im not sure of the command, something like chmod u+rwe realplayer. dunno maby someone with more brains than me can explain it better ;)

Just Joined!
    i was logged in as root and put the file in "/root" then while i had the folder open i ran the cmd i mentioned before.....when i log in as user i use gnome but i have look everywhere for the folder and can't find it.....after install where is xmms located i need to associate a prog for mpegs and that is the reason that i installed real player

Linux Engineer
    only the root user can veiw or execute files in /root install it in /home/bosewicht/realplayer or whatever but NOT in /root

Just Joined!
    ok, so how can i get rid of the files that i installed? if i had "/root" open and the xxxxxx file sitting there the i typed "rpm -ivvh xxxxxx" where is it and how can i clean it out

Just Joined!
    i tried to install in /home and i got an error about not being able to find the file or something like that...i'm at work right now, not near the computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast