Find the answer to your Linux question:
when xine and all its libraries and dvd decoding patches and everything is installed from freshrpms.net, why the hell doesnt it play dvds??? i dont get it what the do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

DVD playback on redhat 9.0

when xine and all its libraries and dvd decoding patches and everything is installed from freshrpms.net, why the hell doesnt it play dvds???

i dont get it what the do linux distributors say that they can not include dvd playback because of patent or something.

how come microsoft and apple has so many dvd players, mp3 players and all that?

this is really frustrating. mp3 playback and dvd playback r the the biggest use on a desktop computer.

anyways if some one can tell me that after installing everything of xine player from freshrpms.net ... why doesnt xine play dvds?

thanks
    hasan

Linux Guru
    The reason that MP3 functionality is risky at best to include in free software is because parts of it is patented, and it's kind of a "grey zone" when it comes to whether it's legal. Companies like MS and Apple don't have to worry about it; they just buy a license and can safely use it legally.
    The same goes for DVD, only it's even worse. The patents for MP3 isn't so closely guarded, since it's just a technological issue. The MPAA does everything possible to keep DVD functionality safe (safe for them, that is), since they don't want to risk that people would be able to use it to pirate movies.

Anyway, back to xine... what happens if you try to play a DVD?
    And also, have you tried MPlayer? I'd recommend MPlayer any day.

Linux Newbie
    hi dolda

well ............. after installing all the plugins, patches and dvd codecs from http://freshrpms.net/

xine does show DVD playback on its menu ... but when i tried to play dvd it would give some error like " plugin error " or something ....

i dont remember

i will install red hat 9.0 again [rite now i have mdk 9.1] tonite and then install the patches and when i will run into the same plugin error, i will let u know.

i went to the mplayer site ........ ****!!! i see bunch of source files ...i dont know where to start from. theres a lot of reading on mplayers site. i dont feel like reading rite now.

i will check it out in 1-2 days.

thanks,
    hasan

Linux Newbie
    okay

i downloaded the *.bz2 file from mplayer

did ./configure
    make
    make install

now the question is ............. how to launch the application?

where did it get installed?

thanks,
    hasan

Linux Guru
    MPlayer is mainly terminal based. There is a GUI version called "gmplayer" that you can start, but that requires some extra files (like skins) to be installed. First of all, just try to run "mplayer dvd://1" and see if that yield usable output.

Just Joined!

DVD's, MP3, Internet radio

well im a uber noob to linux. i just bought a new laptop (toshiba) for all you wondering and it came with with winblows Xtreme Piece (of $|-|17) any way with out delay i dumped it and fully installed linux(redhat 9) and i really have no problems with it except for the fact that i cant really play any dvd's mp3's, or internet radio. sure i can play CD's but i love webcast radio and considering i have a new laptop i can play dvd's well i could if there were a dvd player i DLed a bunch of software but im not sure what

./configure
    make
    make install

means. i guess this is my real question i need to know what and how to run this or want this really means ive tried running it in terminal but i cant seem to get it right if any one can knows whats up here plese let me know

thank you
    fragment

Linux Guru
    RedHat 8 and 9 ship without MP3 support, due to legal issues. See http://staff.xmms.org/priv/redhat8/ for an RPM to regain it. It says RedHat 8, but it applies to 9 as well.

As for DVD playing, check out this post:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3833
    It really focuses on the illegal DeCSS code, but it applies for compiling MPlayer as well. It's possible that you'll need the DeCSS code, though. I'm not sure, but I think so. Since the MPAA refuses to give the CSS keys to open source projects, the only way to decode DVDs is through illegal software. Note that DeCSS is pretty hard to find, since the MPAA even managed to illegalize distributing it.

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks for the reply dolda

Linux Enthusiast
    if you ever decide to switch to mplayer (much better imho), then see the helpful tips page of my guide on dvd playback. I've never had a problem with mplayer and dvd's.