Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use compact flash memory for my camera. Once I accidentally pulled the CF card before shutting down the device and now I canít read the card any longer, I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question: Compact Flash data recovery application

I use compact flash memory for my camera. Once I accidentally pulled the CF card before shutting down the device and now I canít read the card any longer, I'm assuming it corrupted some data. I had pictures on it that I want to restore.

For MS-Windows there are a variety of applications with which you can restore data from disk. Does anyone know of the software for Linux with which I can recover the data from the CF card?

Just Joined!
    I Googled this:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/oskin/saveimg.html

Excerpt:
    On occasion compact flash cards can get corrupted. I think the most common case is you forget to ``unmount'' them and then insert another card. Certain operating system then happily writes the old FAT table onto the new card. This happens in XP/2K/NT, as well as Linux. The net effect is you need to reformat the card, losing all of your images. This is a bummer, so here is a quick routine that will recover *most* of your image data...

Go to the page for the instructions. Looks like a bit of work to it if you're just a beginner of Linux.

Good luck!