Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed the latest version of azureus (and java) on mandrake 10.1 and i thought all was well. the tracker status is ok, and it connects to peers and seeds. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Azureus problems

i installed the latest version of azureus (and java) on mandrake 10.1 and i thought all was well. the tracker status is ok, and it connects to peers and seeds. but it doesn't download. at best, it will download at 1.1k for a few seconds, then stop. i'm sure you can imagine the frustration of only getting a couple megs over the course of several hours.

i've set my router to forward the port i use. right now it's set to 55555, which has always worked fine for windows. is the port just as arbitrary with linux as it is with windows?

this sure is a pain the brown eye, so if anyone knows how to fix it, i would be very grateful.

Just Joined!
    As root, try these:
    Code:
    iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport <port number> -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport <port number> -j ACCEPT

is the port just as arbitrary with linux as it is with windows?
    As far as I know, Azureus requires port 6881 to be open (forwarded to your machine). You would have to open that port on your router and open it within Mandrake's firewall config.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    but you can change your port in azureus' initial setup. the reason i don't use 6881 is that some trackers blacklist it.
    and as far as i know, i don't have linux's firewall enabled - just the one on my router and that port is already forwarded.
    i'll double check to be sure though.
    thanks for the reply.

by the way, are there the same number of ports for linux as there are for windows? is 55555 still in its range?

Yes, it's still within the port range. I know Mandriva (10.2) enables the firewall by default, but I don't remember whether 10.1 did; it's worth checking anyway.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ok, i checked the firewall in the control center and it was disabled (Everything (no firewall) was checked)

the iptables command didn't work, it said there's no such file. command not found, something like that.

also, the firewall test that azureus has built in under the tools menu says that my port is ok.