Find the answer to your Linux question:
lets just say "hypotheticaly" that i had the dcss code.. what the hell would i do with it? i want to watch copyrighted dvd's (which i bought and are genuine) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

DeCss

lets just say "hypotheticaly" that i had the dcss code.. what the hell would i do with it? i want to watch copyrighted dvd's (which i bought and are genuine) in mplayer but at the momment i get this message:

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    There are 3 titles on this DVD.
    There are 28 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    DVD successfully opened!

so where do i put this DeCss ****? (Ahem.. if i had it.. which i dont;))

Linux Engineer
    y0 please im getting desperate.. i have a few dvd titles and i used to watch them in windows but scince ig ot rid of it i cant watch them now!!

Linux Guru
    Is it libcss that you are asking about? In that case, I think that you have to recompile MPlayer passing the --enable-css to ./configure. I'm not sure about this, though. I can't find any of my DVD titles with which to experiment... even if I had the code, that is. =)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    gah.. the one thing that i have been really avoiding scince getting linux is compileing software.. i just dont have a clue what to do...

Linux Guru
    That's not something that you should try to avoid. It is the best way of installing stuff, after all.
    In general, just untar the tarball that you downloaded with "tar -xvzf filename" for .gz files and "tar -xvjf filename" for .bz2 files. Then cd into it, run the configure script, run "make" and then su to root and run "make install". There are of course exceptions, but most packages use GNU automake/autoconf, so 99% or more of all packages probably follow that convention.

Linux Engineer
    OK!! im gonna go for it! seems that suse distributes mplayer without libcss support compiled. so im gonna have to download it and compile myself :S

Question about compileing.. if i do what you said:
    "tar -xvzf filename" for .gz files and "tar -xvjf filename" for .bz2 files. Then cd into it, run the configure script, run "make" and then su to root and run "make install".

will mplayer then be installed or will i have annother step to install it?

Linux Guru
    "make install" will do the installation, so you're done after that. That's why "make install" requires root privileges.

Linux User
    Btw, I had some problems with mplayer and DVD. I don't know if it was anythig i did or did not do, but it when I eg. chose the language for the dvd, mplayer crashed so I tested out ogle wich is superb. Its written by some swedish peolpe.. Just thought I should mention it

Linux Engineer
    I compiled it no problem! really a lot easyer than i expected adn now it playes dvds fine no problem although i had to enable dma and read ahead on my drive or it is jumpy

Linux Guru
    You didn't have DMA enabled already? Check to see that your other drives have it enabled, or you'll get dreadful I/O performance.