Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Greetings all, I've been trying to get the video players in Linux to work for me, and they were functioning at one point. Recentlly i installed the newest versions of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Kaffeine & Xine Player Problems....

Greetings all,
    I've been trying to get the video players in Linux to work for me, and they were functioning at one point.
    Recentlly i installed the newest versions of Xine and Kaffeine along with the other necessary packages using an RPM file through Yast.
    Now when i try to open Xine, the player flashes up on the screen for a split second and closes without any errors. Kaffeine on the other hand will open, but if i try to play a video file, DVD etc. i get this error:

Loading of player part 'KaffeinePart' failed.

Details
    All video drivers failed to initialize!
    Any ideas of what i can do to fix it? I only really need one media player, so if i could get either of these working i'd be happy. Thanks....

Two things to try -
    Run Kaffeine from a terminal and when it fails post the output here, and then as is often a decent idea when you have troubles - delete the kaffeine config folder from your home directory. Usually ~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc and ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine. Usually works for self inflicted stuff, but never really hurts anyway.

Thanks for the reply...

I did as you said and deleted the files. When i ran Kaffeine again, the Insallation Wizard Check came up and said all was okay (including KaffeinePart) . But when i tried to play an .avi file the same error came up.

Also, as a new Linux user, i've been wondering how to run a check to see why a program isn't working. So if you can enlighten me on how to run Kaffeine (or any other program for that matter) from the terminal that would be super....Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by uninvisible
    So if you can enlighten me on how to run Kaffeine (or any other program for that matter) from the terminal that would be super....Thanks..
    All you need to do is open up a terminal like aterm and type in the case of kaffine
    Code:
    kaffine
    -- so basicaly the name of the program. Some programs are not in your $PATH which is a list of places to look for executable files, to execute these you must
    Code:
    /path/to/kaffine
    for example. If you want to add a directory to your $PATH do
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/newpath
    and replace /newpath with /sbin or whatever.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Post back the errors reported as dylunio mentioned, I think I missed part of your post as I read it. Kaffeine does seem to be alright, or at least xine seems to be the problem. Run xine from a terminal and post back the errors. I probably should have said scrap the ~/.xine directory, but wait until you post back the errors from the terminal before you do anything else.

Okay, i typed xine in the terminal and got:

Code:
    This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.2.
    (c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
    main: all available video drivers failed.
    Obviously not good. Anything i can try?
    I suspect i may have to reinstall my media players and
    all codecs needed..

Thanks dylunio for the obvious. Gotta learn it somehow! Ha ha...

Just Joined!
    I've exactly the same problem since a couple of days

Hi Erikve,
    Did you try typing xine and/or xine-check in the terminal? That at least gave me some idea of what the problems were. Although i haven't really figured anything out yet.

Just curoius if you installed RPM packages of the media players/libraries like me, and what distro are you using? Good luck, and add to the post if you figure anything out!!

Just Joined!

same problems

i'm having the exact same problems. i went to http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ to get all my files. i got the right libxine file (k7 for my amd athlon) and installed it. i then installed xine-ui. now when i boot up xine, it crashes instantly and kaffeine gives the error message above (failed loading kaffeinepart.) i tried removing all things xine from my computer and doing it again but this doesnt solve anything. when running xine through konsole, i get no error message but xine still crashes. with xine-check i get all goods. this confuses me since if i get all goods and no errors, it should work.

Re: same problems

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_r87
    i'm having the exact same problems. i went to http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ to get all my files. i got the right libxine file (k7 for my amd athlon) and installed it. i then installed xine-ui. now when i boot up xine, it crashes instantly and kaffeine gives the error message above (failed loading kaffeinepart.) i tried removing all things xine from my computer and doing it again but this doesnt solve anything. when running xine through konsole, i get no error message but xine still crashes. with xine-check i get all goods. this confuses me since if i get all goods and no errors, it should work.
    Sounds like my problem, except i did get an error from xine. As for the failed loading KaffeinePart, bigtomrodney in this post suggested:

then as is often a decent idea when you have troubles - delete the kaffeine config folder from your home directory. Usually ~/.kde/share/config/kaffeinerc and ~/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine. Usually works for self inflicted stuff, but never really hurts anyway.
    This actually worked for me (with the kaffeinepart anyway) but the problem is with xine i guess. I'm curious if the media players and codecs need to be installed in a certain order for it all to work? By the way, have you tried MPlayer yet? I got it to work even when the other players don't. It's worth trying...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast