Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any msn clients that offer voice support? I have just brought a voice headset and I am now looking for a way to use it with msn so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MSN IM voice support

Are there any msn clients that offer voice support? I have just brought a voice headset and I am now looking for a way to use it with msn so i can chat to people using the headset. Does anybody know of any programs that can do this? I am on gnome so gtk apps are preferred but if any do offer voice plese tell me anyway.

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure now, so don't take my word on this, but I believe that MSN messenger uses SIP for voice chats. If that is true, you should be able to use any SIP-compliant program to do what you wish. However, the only GTK SIP program I know of is GnomeMeeting 2.0, which hasn't been released yet. It's possible that KDE's VoIP program does SIP, but I don't know.

Maybe someone else can offer more insight.

Just Joined!
    I think Teamspeak has a Linux client.

I'd look into using that for VoIP.

Linux Engineer
    If not, you could try telling your buddies to try out skype... I beleve they have a linux client.

Just Joined!
    ok, I have a sip client (or 3 incase one doesn't work) now how do i talk to people on msn? Do they have to do nething or will it come up as a voice convo under msn?

Thanks for the help so far

Linux Newbie
    there is a fork of the gaim project which is trying to do video and voice....

http://gaim-vv.sourceforge.net/

not sure how well its working at the moment, but gaim is one of the best IM clients i think, so it sounds promising....

why do they have to go and fork it. why cant they just put it into the one that is alreay there.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    why do they have to go and fork it. why cant they just put it into the one that is alreay there.
    They are developing this line, and this way they don't have to think about other issues with gaim. I read on the gaim -vv website that they are planning to get there work into the gaim ploject onec it is stable and works.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2