Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a simple but effective Linux note-taking app. I need something that I can use to take and organize my notes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Note taking app

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a simple but effective Linux note-taking app. I need something that I can use to take and organize my notes for college lectures on my laptop. What are you guys using?

Linux Newbie
    By notes, do you mean those "sticky notes" apps? There's already one in KDE by the name of KNotes. And in GNOME, just right click on the GNOME panel, click "add item" and in the list, select the appropriate icon (I think it's simple called "Notes").

It's not that advanced, but good enough for me.

Just Joined!
    What {MaX} said. I'm using the one for Gnome right now and is getting the job done for sticky notes. lol.That's about all I can add since he covered it all.

Linux Engineer
    well if you want to just type them and not worry about formatting you could just pop open a terminal and run vim, later on you could use a typsetter like LaTeX2e to typset them for you in a professional looking manner, such as a brief, etc...this is good for organizing entire semesters of notes, as it can automatically generate both a table of contents and large indexes...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    gvim is like a windows version of vim that is a little easier to use. It has pull down menus to make operation a little easier.

I still prefer vi myself.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1
    I still prefer vi myself.
    Yeah, I whip out vim in meetings to take notes.

:wq!