Find the answer to your Linux question:
yeah i just started school and i am enrolled in a beginner computer class(spare me the ridicule) and any way im have to read a number of winblows apps. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

open office

yeah i just started school and i am enrolled in a beginner computer class(spare me the ridicule) and any way im have to read a number of winblows apps. i dont have any problems with doc's power point or excell but... now heres the question......is there an app to view M$ access files this is not a critical concern of min as i have several box'es at my place of residance and most of witch still run one ver. of winblows or a nother but i still would like to use linx for everthing

P.S. im planning on returing winblows XP to microsucks any one ever try this and if so let me know how it went (it came preinstalled on my laptop and i never even ran it just dumped it and installed redhat linux9witch runs like a champ)

thanks for all the help
    fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Guru
    I wouldn't bet on that. MS MDB is yet another one of their super-stupid inventions. I mean, Winbloze isn't good, but this is something else. I can't seem to find anything positive about it on the net. If anything, you can try running MS Access through wine.

Just Joined!

wine

ok i installed wine and it wants me to referance a windows app dows that mean i need to have the accual program to run the conversion or just the file its self i want to convert?? accually i guess i should stop WHINing and just try it for my self -=].

well thanks for all the help and i will be in touch

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Wine is a WIndows emulator, so to speak, so what I meant was for you to use it to run MS Access in Linux.

Just Joined!
    ohhh ok so i have to have MS access on CD to run it not just the files that it views??

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Guru
    Precisely. MS Access is the only program capable of displaying .MDB files to my knowledge.

Linux User

access and wine

i read something the other day about wine. it really only supports access 97 and 75% of access 2000. and f**k all of access xp.

just so you know!

fragment
    if you need any help with access let me know. I can send you a beginners guide and what not. My training company has written a few, and I still do some access development from time to time.

kriszani@iscavision.com
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Enthusiast
    actually although there isn't a direct copy of access in OOO, there is a way to use it and a lot of people regard it as a better option:

http://www.bytebot.net/openoffice/faq.html#Database1

then:

http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=230&page=1