Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I am interested, I am a web designer and we alwys cross browsers test sites. Why does google not work under IE on linux? I know that firefox doesn't dispay ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am interested, I am a web designer and we alwys cross browsers test sites.

Why does google not work under IE on linux?
    I know that firefox doesn't dispay CSS 2.0 menus and backgrounds as well as IE, although I think that this is more firefox stricktly adhearing to the standard rather than a firefox bug.

IE has loads of little bug associated with white space in code that shouldn't make any difference.

We code in forward compatible XHTML 1.0 not client intensive HTML 4.0.

Sometimes it neccessary t o detect the user agent and server a relevant style sheet specifically for that browser. I don't like to do it unless I have to.

Just Joined!
    i don't know why for me ie and google won't play nice together.its that IE is displaying google wrong, it just seems to want to never finish downloading it.

Linux Guru
    Winetools will automatically install IE for you, I have done and all sites work fine for me. Google is in fact my home page (Well I mean when has msn.com been useful for anything?). frankscorner. Winetools and the preconfigured wine directory makes everything much easier. Why reinvent the wheel when it's already been done?

Linux Guru
    Actually funny thing - sometimes sound doesn't run in flash under linux, but it works every time under a wined IE6. Bit bad that.

Just Joined!
    i used side wine or whatever its called. ill try winetools (i i can ever get back into linux)next. thx

Linux Newbie
    There are actually quite a few reasons for having to install IE apart from browser testing, one of them being Steam... I had to install IE to get it working under WINE properly. But now it runs fine, well, as fine as it can run in Offline Mode .

Linux Guru
    It's a good idea to install it because it contains a lot of updates to explorer, so it will benefit many programs under wine.

Quote Originally Posted by squimmy
    thanks lakerdonald. i now have it installed though. and good point,Vergil83,i may try making opera fake it being IE. maybe that will work.
    Just as an FYI, permission denied often just means that you don't have the permission to execute the program because you haven't set the eXecute bit by doing
    Code:
    chmod +x

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    I thought opera could "pretend" to be IE
    opera can pretend to be IE and if you have KDE konquorer can also pretend to be IE
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

So can firefox.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast