Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone know of a software package similar to Symantec's PCAnywhere, but for Linux, with Dial-up access? Thanks in Advance...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Desktop; Terminal Services?

Does anyone know of a software package similar to Symantec's PCAnywhere, but for Linux, with Dial-up access?

Thanks in Advance

Linux Engineer
    How does PCAnywhere work?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    It's something you install on Windows that allows you to access your files from other computers through the website or something like that. I'm not sure if something like that exists for Linux, but something that would work just like it would be Apache.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    PC-anywhere is a remotecontrol software for microsoft platforms. I should say that VNC for linux work a little bit like pc-anywhere. You get an X-session to your linux box and can manage it from the vnc-client.

BUt it doesnt have any dialup functions buildt in, and as far as i know that has not pc-anywhere either.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    PCAnywhere DOES have access over Dial-up

Linux Engineer
    I remember using the Sun workstations at school. It had a feature where you could type in the ip address of the host and if X was set correctly from that host, it was like having that pc directly in front of you.

Linux Guru
    There are several ways of remote controlling a Linux system. VNC is one, others include telnet, SSH and X11/TCP.

You could set up mgetty to answer dial-in requests, and that way, you will get a shell over RS-232.
    If you want something graphical, then you'll probably need to set up pppd to answer to dial-in requests and give you a PPP network link to do data exchange over.

Linux Engineer
    Yes it workes over a dial up network, but it doesnt have dialup functionality buildt in.
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    Is VNC a program? What about X11/TCP? I know that ssh can support X-Windows but when I used to login from the Sun station, it was literally like having the exact same desktop in front of my eyes.

Linux Guru
    What exactly do you mean that the difference would be between that and using XDMCP, bpark? Could you resume an already started session (like with screen -r) or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast