Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by spencerf So the question remains what software does this bunch of scripts utilize to rip the backup of a DVD. Being scripts, its not exactly a secret! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

thoughts ....

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    So the question remains what software does this bunch of scripts utilize to rip the backup of a DVD.
    Being scripts, its not exactly a secret! One just needs to look at the script.
    If I understand correctly from your description it is just a script which would utilize other programs to do the dirty work.
    That is pretty much correct. The scripts I discovered are:
    movie-to-dvd (takes input and creates MPEG2 compatible VOB);
    movie-title (takes MPEG files and creates menu title sequence (including animated picture-picture versions, generating XML for dvdauthor use);
    movie-make-title - create background movie and audio track for DVD menus;
    movie-rip-tv.com - given name of tv series creates information file for display in menu
    movie-compare-dvd - compare dvd to hard drive image

I'm still learning how to use them. I updated Videotrans to my list in an effort to be helpful and complete, in the hope of sharing information with fellow SuSE enthusiasts who are curious as to what pure linux applications are available for DVD backups. I did NOT intend my post to be seen as a enthusastic marketing attempt, and accordingly I hope my post was taken in the appropriate context..
    Once again though the main problem I have found with linux ripping programs is an inability to deal with protected movies such as ARCOSS and the like. Or even programs that have complex CSS protections...I think.
    Hmm, I haven't found Linux programs to be any worse than Windows when it comes to "protected" movies. Linux simply is not as good as Windows for backups of all DVD movies, with no special/additional difficulty for "protected".

IMHO the main problem with Linux DVD backup programs is they will typically only backup the main title, with one language track. If one wants multiple audio tracks, multiple subtitles, and maybe a selected bonus video or two, then one pretty much has to run an application under wine.

However new programs are coming out all the time, so who knows when this could change?

Vanred - tool for DVD backup

I added the program "VanRed" to the the list in my earlier post.

VanRed (eVaporate and Reauthor DVDs) is an application which makes it possible to copy the main movie from a DVD to your hard disc and which allows you to remove certain audio and subtitle streams and evaporates (requant) if necessary the video stream.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/charemma

In order to run VanRed one needs in addition the following piece of software:
    - libdvdread from the ogle project: http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/
    - dvdauthor: http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/
    - vamps and play_cell since version 0.97: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vamps

According to the author:
    "vanred is developed in c++ and tested with the following g++ versions:
    g++-3.4
    g++-4.0
    Actually only libdvdread, vamps, play_cell and dvdauthor are really needed to use vanred. lsdvd and streamanalyze are not needed. libdvdcss is only needed to backup encrypted dvds..."
    I failed to install VanRed on SuSE-9.3, as it only has gcc-3.3.5/gcc-c++3.3.5. However it successfully compiles on SuSE-10.0 which has 4.0.2_200509-1-3.

Linux Newbie
    old cpu

100 bookmarks for you , 1 for me. Thanks. I suspect you saved me from having to pick through a pile of internet trash. Translation; I bookmarked this thread.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

No longer maintain post

This new board style on linuxforums is great, but one slight disadvantage is its maximum message size is less than the old board. The end result of this means my post with various DVD authoring/ripping packages for linux is too large for the new board, and I can no longer maintain it due to its size. So please take anything on that post with a "grain of salt" given the age of the post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3