Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i'm in search for a good dvd-ripping program i can use to backup my dvd collection to my pc. so far i've only been using windows for it, and it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

program to rip dvd's?

i'm in search for a good dvd-ripping program i can use to backup my dvd collection to my pc. so far i've only been using windows for it, and it's getting annoying. i use a program called fair-use in windows, and it's really nice. the thing i like about it is it outputs one large movie file that shows the whole movie, rather than a bunch of segments and a video_ts and audio_ts (hope i got the names right!) folder. are there any programs like this for linux? i'm using kubuntu hoary 5.04, and would like to be able to apt-get them, but if not i can always install from source given there aren't many dependancies. i looked for a fair-use version for linux and couldn't find it.

thanks

Linux Guru
    Check out DVD::Rip

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

dvdrip and dvdbackup packages in the debian main 'etch' repositories. there are several other tools out their, but most of them are pretty beta, and tough to use.

EDIT: almost forgot acidrip
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    my pc won't connect to ubuntu's servers right now so i can't install dvdrip right now, but i'm downloading/installing acidrip as we speak. i tried manually downloading dvdrip from the link you gave me and installing it from source, but after i unzip it and cd to its directory, ./configure gives me this error:

Code:
    root@jnevkubuntu:/home/jnev/Programs/Video-DVDRip-0.52.5 # ./configure
    bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    i've gotten this error many times when i tried to ./configure, and i never know how to fix it. any help?

thanks

Linux Guru
    The script configure has to be there. Most times it's called configure, but sometimes it's called config or something like that. If it's not there, you may have to just do a make.

The first thing you should always to do is read the README or INSTALL file. What's it say?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    good idea to read the readme, i now have both dvdrip and acidrip installed. i will be testing both of them over the next couple of days to see which i like more.

thanks!

Linux Newbie
    ok, looking deeper into the programs revealed that i know next to nothing on all the settings. acidrip looked to complicated from the start, so for now i want to try out dvd::rip. how do i just rip the dvd? i want to get one big avi/mpeg/divx/whatever that contains the whole dvd. what setting do i need for that? what does transcode mean? what does split mean? where do i control the saved directory of the file? the bitrate of the video/audio? etc etc.

I NEED HELP.

thanks

Linux Engineer
    you dont need either of those programs to rip dvd's to mpeg or whatever. You probably allready have mplayer installed (which includes mencoder) and you can rip dvd's like this:

Code:
    mencoder  dvd://1  -vf  scale=640:480 -o title2.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 alang=en
    remember to change the dvd://1 to the real movie title (it normaly is 1 but somtimes that can be the copyright notice and the real movie may be 2 or 3. Also remember to set the title.avi to that of hte dvd you are ripping. the file will be placed in the current working directory which will be /home/youruser/title.avi by default. if you want more advanced options type man mplayer and scroll to the bottom.

Linux Newbie
    thanks, but when i did that, the video started somewhere halfway in between and included commentary - not what i wanted. i want something that will rip the WHOLE dvd, from beginning to end, i don't care what the output file size is. plus, i could never remember that long command.

can anyone show me (or give me a link t a tutorial) on how to use dvd::rip or acidrip?

thanks

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/index.cipp

we can't really walk you through this step by step, unless we were sitting there, or perhaps the irc, video encoding has to many hundreds of preferences to be done in one fell swoop, personaly, I prefer acidrip, as the interface is cleaner and easier to use once you know what it all means. But heres the documentation for dvdrip, its going to know how to do what it can do best... if you catch my drift
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast