Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Wine to see how good/bad it is. I tried to install two games, Fifa 2001 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The first one did not install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Return to castle wolfenstein - wine question

I have just installed Wine to see how good/bad it is. I tried to install two games, Fifa 2001 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The first one did not install and the latter installed perfectly but when I run it I get an error while loading the game. It says it cannot load the default.cfg.
    Has anyone installed this game successfully?

Cheers
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Guru
    When it comes to Return to Castle Wolfenstein, don't run it through wine. There is a native Linux version of the Q3 engine to run it on. It was a long time since I found it, so I don't remember just where it was, but search some RtCW sites for it. It came with installation instructions. It will run much faster than it ever will through wine.

I can just say that I have never gotten Wine to work for me to run anything more advanced than the calculator. There are lots of success stories out there with Wine, but it has never worked for me.

I thought Wine was too good to be true
    I'll try and get it to work though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Through Wine

I have a tip for you also - If you have a remotely fast computer, DMA support enabled, 512Mb RAM or greater, running RtCW through Transgaming's WineX is flawless - 1280x1024 with no lag or skip not sure on fps - haven't checked -> http://www.transgaming.com -> I didn't notice a performance difference in the two versions... at 1280x1024

cheers -

Cole

I looked at that but did not get around to installing it. Would winex run applications as well?

cheers

Linux Newbie

it will

it will but it's optimized for running Direct X games... for regular applications I suggest using codeweavers Wine - it's good

Cole