Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for an audio editing program (something along the lines of Sony Acid) for linux. I downloaded and installed Audacity but am having trouble recording input sound (which defeats ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best audio editing/mixing/looping application?

I'm looking for an audio editing program (something along the lines of Sony Acid) for linux. I downloaded and installed Audacity but am having trouble recording input sound (which defeats the whole purpose of the program). Are there other programs that you would suggest? I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to install Thanx in advance

Linux User
    Few days ago I came across this link on another forum, this guy is trying to make a database of all open source music and audio software. You just might find something there that you like. Note that the website is very new and does not have all that much but you are always welcome to contribute.
    opensourcemusic.info

The only applications that I have used before is called SKALE which is more like Windows FruitLoops.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll look into that site a little more later. I got Audacity up and running correctly. It just took a little playing around (actually felt pretty stupid once I figured out what I had been doing wrong). I still need to do a little "tinkering" to figure some other things out, but that's life. That site looks like it might be the solution to my problem. Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Talking Actual Pro software thats FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiveguile
    I'm looking for an audio editing program (something along the lines of Sony Acid) for linux. I downloaded and installed Audacity but am having trouble recording input sound (which defeats the whole purpose of the program). Are there other programs that you would suggest? I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to install Thanx in advance
    Hi, I know this quote from an old thread, but, having just settled on a new application went through this process.
    I have been a sound engineer in a club in a live setting for a few years to understand dynamics of a room and compression differences with the addition of people. For any serious recording enthusiasts out there, I definitely reccommend getting some live music engineering experience to round out the stusio stuff. It's crucial. And for god's sake get out of the booth. That being said, I've been through everything from a garage/bathroom tape 4 track, to 24 track 2 inch Otari reels, to Hard Disk recording. Having used early verions of Sound Forge, I wasn't impressed. But since working with ProTools, I though it was the best. Until I found Ardour.
    Ardour is missing all the gui that I realized that I had become used to. But what little gui it has is made up for by the very intuitive and realistic seeming interface that is there.
    There is nothing more irritating than a horizontal editing layout for mixing. But I seemed to run into a great deal of software that had it set up like that. Ardour is run with an application called Jack (I'm on an OSX with one machine, Fedora core 5 on the other).
    Jack is an audio I/O program that is so powerful it is amazing. I love mapping tracks I made through other sound capable apps(like video games).
    Ardour is very bare bones, reying on the tremendous amount of VST plugins out there. I would like to say that Ardour is not for beginners, but even though it has a high learning curve, go for it.
    If you know what you want to do to the music, but you don't have the control, or the tools, Ardour is for you.
    It is missing some crutch like editing tools that protools has, like the pen editing tool, but if I do my job as an engineer right, I dont encounter frequencies that I don't have the capabilities of handling. I definitely love it. And being an open source project, can only get better. http://www.ardour.org

-g0dzai