Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay, i found the rpm on freshmeat (in case anyone else has had trouble finding an rpm and was too lazy to compile the source code, like me) and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gimpshop

okay, i found the rpm on freshmeat (in case anyone else has had trouble finding an rpm and was too lazy to compile the source code, like me) and i installed it, and it did NOTHING other than change the splash screen to say gimpshop *confused*

Linux Newbie
    well I don't think gimpshop was made for linux since it was made for photoshop users and photoshop wasn't made for linux.

but not to worry if gimpshop doesn't work ... the gimp still does.

I read up on it. its just trying to make the switch from photoshop to gimp easy so unless you are already pro at photoshop just use gimp

oh and if you want to make it work ask the question and i'll see what I can do.

Just Joined!
    well, unless i can find a "moving to the gimp from photoshop" tutorial or something like that, whenever i install gentoo and dritch mandrake im thinking about just running photoshop under wine.

GimpShop works fine on SuSE-9.3

Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    well I don't think gimpshop was made for linux since it was made for photoshop users and photoshop wasn't made for linux.
    GimpShop compiled fine (from source) on my Athlon 1100+ running SuSE-9.3. I did a "checkinstall" as part of the installation, and the resulting rpm (from my checkinstall) worked OK on my Athlon-2800+, my wife's Sempron 2600+, and my wife's Centron-1.5 GHz laptop.

So while it may have been originally hacked for a Mac, it works great on Linux.

Installing Gimpshop

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox
    okay, i found the rpm on freshmeat (in case anyone else has had trouble finding an rpm and was too lazy to compile the source code, like me) and i installed it, and it did NOTHING other than change the splash screen to say gimpshop *confused*
    This is from my notes, when installing GIMPshop on SuSE-9.3, building GIMPshop from source.

I started out with the following installed (and I donít know if all were required):
    - glibc-2.3.4-23.2.i586
    - glib-1.2.10-593.i586
    - glib2-2.6.3-4.i586
    - gtk-1.2.10-885.i586
    - gtk2-2.6.4-6.i586

To address some dependancy issues, I ended up adding the following (I am also not 100% certain all were required):
    - glib2-dvel-2.6.3-4
    - pkgconfig-0.15.0
    - gtk2-devel-2.6.4-6
    - perl-Gtk2-1.072-3
    - atk-devel-1.9.1-4
    - pango-devel-1.8.1-4
    - libart_lgp_devel-2.3.17.4
    - libtiff-devel-3.7.1-7
    - libgtkhtml-devel-2.6.3-4
    - librsvg-devel-2.9.5-4
    - libgimpprint-devel-4.2.7-28
    - libcroco-devel-0.6.0-5
    - libwmf-devel-0.2.8-92
    - aalib-devel-1.4.0-285
    - libxml2-devel-2.6.17.4
    - alsa-devel-1.0.9.0.pm.1.i586
    I also downgraded readline to an earlier version (5.0-7) due to a dependancy conflict . I just made a note of various things needed along the way. It did take a few iterations/compile attempts, before I worked out all the dependencies. In truth, Yast looked after most of the above for me automatically.