Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Some one please help me. I downloaded gdesklets. Now what do I do? I thought I was doing things right, I downloaded a package from the gdesklets website but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215

    gdesklets


    Some one please help me. I downloaded gdesklets. Now what do I do? I thought I was doing things right, I downloaded a package from the gdesklets website but it tells me it's an invalid package.

    I'm having such a hard time, some one please help me. I seem to just get vague answers when it comes to this or themes for my desktop.

    HELP!
    MCP | Network+

  2. #2
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    I think one of your key problems is, you give vague descriptions... So your problems become vague also!

    Can you tell me what's the exact error?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I think one of your key problems is, you give vague descriptions... So your problems become vague also!

    Can you tell me what's the exact error?
    The error:

    Code:
    Error:User


    Ok, I am trying to add the FTB system meter package to my desktop. I have the whole file downloaded to my desktop. How do I install it?

    Ok now I right click the gdesklets icon on my tool bar and go to manage, now it pops up then goes away. AAAhh!
    MCP | Network+

  4. #4
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    I ran
    Code:
    gdesklets shell
    and got this
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/gdesklets/gdesklets-shell", line 9, in ?
        shell = registry.get_plugin("UI_Shell")
      File "/usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 52, in get_plugin
        result = self.get_plugins_by_pattern("name", name)
      File "/usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 40, in get_plugins_by_pattern
        self.__cache[c].init()
      File "./Shell/__init__.py", line 71, in init
      File "/usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/Plugin.py", line 20, in _get_plugins_by_pattern    return registry.get_plugins_by_pattern(key, pattern)
      File "/usr/lib/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 40, in get_plugins_by_pattern
        self.__cache[c].init()
      File "./Profiles/__init__.py", line 25, in init
      File "./Profiles/__init__.py", line 40, in __build_menu
      File "./Menu/__init__.py", line 169, in set_check_item
      File "./Menu/__init__.py", line 79, in __set_node
    IndexError: list index out of range
    MCP | Network+

  5. #5
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    Thanks for the details. Although a lot seems very cryptical to me, they surely will help others to understand the problem. I suggest you do some googling on configuring gDesklets - I printed a complete howto for Slackware for myself . I suggest you take your time and find an extended explanation, and follow that step by step. So you get to know the internals of your box.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  6. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Thanks for the details. Although a lot seems very cryptical to me, they surely will help others to understand the problem. I suggest you do some googling on configuring gDesklets - I printed a complete howto for Slackware for myself . I suggest you take your time and find an extended explanation, and follow that step by step. So you get to know the internals of your box.
    I'll see what I find, you found a whole write up on configuring gdesklets for slack? Or a write for slack in general?
    MCP | Network+

  7. #7
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    Gdesklets for slack! I'll see if I can find it back, I printed it, but is on a site of the competition though . On LinuxQuestions.org... I'll keep you posted!

    Edit: here you go: Configuring gDesklets on Slackware 9.0.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  8. #8
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Gdesklets for slack! I'll see if I can find it back, I printed it, but is on a site of the competition though . On LinuxQuestions.org... I'll keep you posted!

    Edit: here you go: Configuring gDesklets on Slackware 9.0.
    So what all can you do with gdesklets? Besides the system monitors?
    MCP | Network+

  9. #9
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    Display the wheather, your system usage, the time, stuff like that, RSS feeds, your mails waiting in your inbox, stuff like that...

    Go to the gDesklets homepage, and check out some screenshots.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  10. #10
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Display the wheather, your system usage, the time, stuff like that, RSS feeds, your mails waiting in your inbox, stuff like that...

    Go to the gDesklets homepage, and check out some screenshots.
    This stuff is so confucing

    What about tool bars? What if I want one like the MacOS? I've seen people do those.
    MCP | Network+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •