Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know where I put the codecs for Mplayer?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Mplayer

Does anyone know where I put the codecs for Mplayer?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    /usr/lib/win32

Linux Engineer
    During ./configure, I get this error [codeError: X11 support required for GUI compilation[/code]
    It then says to look inside configure.log to find errors but that really doesn't help me because it seems to have just cut off at the part which says "checking for GUI"

Linux Guru
    Do you have the development files (headers, etc...) for X installed, like the ones in /usr/include/X11?

Linux Engineer
    I have bitmaps and pixmaps directory under /usr/include/X11. Do you know what package I need to install? I just need a description of it so that I can find the .deb files for it.

Linux Engineer
    do you compile mplayer with --enable-gui (or whatever the gui compile option is). I use it without the gui and find it to be just fine.

mplayer kicks ass it supports more formats than windoz mediaplayer and the other windoze players combined.. ;)

Linux Guru
    Actually, /usr/include/X11 is a symlink pointing to /usr/X11R6/include/X11, just so that you know. You should at least have the files X.h and Xlib.h in it.

Linux Engineer
    OK, I installed xlibs-dev and gtk1.2-dev to complete the process. However, when I open gmplayer from the command line, I see many errors. One of the complaints that I'm getting is an error regarding /dev/rtc and how it should be set with SUID. I have done so and it now looks like this
    Code:
    [brock@pc1 .mplayer]$ ls -l /dev/rtc
    crwsrw----    1 root     root      10, 135 Mar 14  2002 /dev/rtc
    Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Another thing it complains about that it wasn't able to find codec.conf or input.conf. What are these files and how important are they?

Lastly, I put all my codecs inside /usr/local/lib/codecs. Is this OK?

Linux Enthusiast
    this is one of the prime reasons why I don't compile from source.

alternatives:

urpmi mplayer
    apt-get install mplayer
    pacman -S mplayer
    emerge mplayer

done!

with regard to the codec issue here, usually if you just extract them into the /usr/lib/win32 dir as mentioned they work, in terms of options when compiling, it might be a good idea to look at ./configure --help if it hasn't been done already.

Linux Guru
    You're not supposed to put SUID on /dev/rtc; remember, SUID doesn't have any effect on files that aren't executables. It probably meant that it would like itself to be installed SUID, so that it could access /dev/rtc. You don't really have to care about that; MPlayer complains about a lot at startup, and there are a lot of things that it doesn't really need or has alternatives to.
    You could either simply not use /dev/rtc with MPlayer, like I do, or chown /dev/rtc to root:users or something like that. It's probably about the same with codecs.conf and input.conf - it doesn't have them but it has compiled-in defaults instead.
    codecs.conf is a configuration file for codecs, simply. It maps different file identifiers to different codes. I think it does need this, but the default values are in /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf. input.conf is the configuration file for keyboard bindings. If you don't have one, it has compiled-in defaults instead.