Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

configure and make options

Hi All,

The source tarball packages' README files always tell us use "configure" and then "make" and "make install". I wanted to know about all the options and their values that can be used for compiling a source package in general for congfigure and make. The 'configure --help' command puts out a list but doesn't tell what values can be used for example it says "--enable-FEATURE[=YES or NO]" but how do I know what features can be enabled or disabled. For make there's some info iin the Makefiles but I wanted to know all the available options.

I was doing this for binutils. I tried going to and the binutils page under it but couldn't get any helpful info. Does anyone know where these can be found for binutils and other popular packages.

Linux Engineer
    Chicago (USA)
    The most usefull configure options IMO are -q/--quiet and -p/--prefix (where to install to).

I have a problem too with 'make'.

I am trying to install file-roller.

I have run 'configure' without options. Now I don't see well what I must do with 'make'. Options ?

Target ? I suppose that 'target' means a filename - 'makefile' as name ?

I tried the command 'make --always-make makefile' and I received as answer : 'No rules to make target "makefile'.

I should be grateful if somebody would give me the right command line.

Excuse me but I am not yet very familiar with the installation of software from an archive file.

Thanks for your attention.

4. $spacer_open