Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
You don't have a C compiler installed. Pop in your installation CDs and install GCC....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

You don't have a C compiler installed. Pop in your installation CDs and install GCC.

Just Joined!
    woohoo, finally compiled. alright mplayer is installed but i would like a gui. im gonna do some looking around but if someone could help me out with that, that would be great. i typed the mplayer - fs file and it opened it up but all it was, was a purple bar on top of the screen. do i need to install codecs? thanks...

Linux Guru
    It's supposed to be "mplayer -fs file", not "mplayer - fs file". For a GUI, try starting gmplayer instead of mplayer. If it isn't installed, then you need to recompile MPlayer passing --enable-gui to ./configure.

Linux Engineer
    and if you compile with --enable-gui (in kconfigure enter it on the second page of the configure dialog under "manual" instead of "automatic") then you also need to install GTK which should be on your cd's too

Just Joined!
    why is my file/movie comming up as just a purple bar across the screen? what do i have to do with the codecs? i will mess around with the gui after i get it to actually work.

Linux Engineer
    as dolda said the commnd is "mplayer -fs /file/movie.mpg"

you dont need to specify -fs (fullscreen) but i generaly watch movies in fs. Try a different movei and allso make sure you are entering the correct command! it may be the file type that need extra commands to be enterd so tell me what is the file type? avi, mpg or what?

i reccomend that you type this in a terminal "man mplayer" and read the info, if you want to use mplayer to its fullest capabilities

Just Joined!
    its not how im typing in the command and its not the movie as i have tried other ones.

again: do i need to do anything with the codecs? are there default codecs?

i will read the man pages to see if they will help me out with the codecs...

Linux Engineer
    hmm that is odd. i havent hasd that happen at all. could you describe what you see in more detail and if possible post a screenshot of what you see. also post the output of the terminal that you are running mplayer in, what error messages does it display?

Linux Guru
    It's not related to codecs; if it hadn't been able to find the correct codec, it would have terminated with an error about that.

Just Joined!
    i will post a screenshot when i get home from work. i will try to describe it in more detail. it is a purpleish bar going across the top of the screen and behind the purple the movie is playing for a couple of seconds and then it stops. i have tried 2 other movies (.avi) but i will try a few more. thanks for everyones help so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast