Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
try it with other formats like mpeg and .mov. although mplayer has better support in general for avi than ms windows players do, some avi files are a bit buggerd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

try it with other formats like mpeg and .mov. although mplayer has better support in general for avi than ms windows players do, some avi files are a bit buggerd up so you might have to, for example, rebuild the index file before you start the movie, try:

mplayer -idx /home/extensive/movie.avi

I am on a windows machines (ugg) in the library at the momment so I cant check the man page for the command but there is a lot of info on fixing broken .avi files.

Linux Engineer
    other than watching movies, how are you getting on with linux? any other problems? :)

Just Joined!
    http://students.cup.edu/rep9319/snapshot1.png
    there is a link to the screenshot.

other than watching movies, how are you getting on with linux? any other problems?
    for me linux is nothing but problems. i guess its because im a noob but there doesnt seem to be a easy way for anything. i will stick with it tho because i like what i see. i bought quake3 for linux and im trying to get that to work. i have it installed and i got new drivers for my video card but its still not working. it says broken pipe when it trys to iniitialize my sound. well thats it for now...

Linux Guru
    That almost seems to be a driver problem; it's basically just MMIO noise. What video card driver are you using? Anyway, try starting it like this instead:
    Code:
    mplayer -vo sdl -zoom file.avi
    If that doesn't work, try this:
    Code:
    mplayer -vo x11 -fs file.avi

Just Joined!
    Code:
    Playing matrixrebirth.avi
    AVI file format detected.
    VIDEO:  [DX50]  320x240  24bpp  30.000 fps  395.6 kbps (48.3 kbyte/s)
    ==========================================================================
    Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
    MP3lib: init layer2&3 finished, tables done
    AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 3000->88200 (24.0 kbit)
    Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
    ==========================================================================
    Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
    they both do the same thing, and im using, at least i think, the new nvidia drivers for the tnt2. who knows tho. this is horribly hard just to play movies/games.

Linux Guru
    It usually isn't this much trouble; it usually works on the first try. Can you post what it says if you run "mplayer -vo help"?

Just Joined!
    Code:
    MPlayer 1.0pre1-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 PM Palomino/Athlon MP Multiprocessor/Athlon XP eXtreme Performance (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
    Reading config file /home/extensive/.mplayer/config
    Available video output drivers:
            fbdev   Framebuffer Device
            fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
            null    Null video output
            pgm     PGM file
            md5     MD5 sum
            mpegpes Mpeg-PES file
            yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools (to "stream.yuv")
            vesa    VESA VBE 2.0 video output
            tga     Targa output
    and there isnt a single thing in my config file. i think there should be, right?

Linux Guru
    You don't need anything in your config file; MPlayer has compiled-in default.

However, that output reveals the source of the problem: It simply hasn't got any video output driver compiled into it that's useful under X.
    I'm guessing that you don't have the X and SDL development files installed on your system.

What distro are you running? If you're running RedHat, find your installation CDs, install the packages XFree86-devel and SDL-devel, then recompile MPlayer.

Just Joined!
    ok i installed those 2 packs and went to kconfigure and tried to complile mplayer again and now it says it cant compile it. i will download the file again and try it.

one questions tho. when i installed mandrake 9.1 the second cd must of been corrupt and didnt install anything. do you think thats my problem? i was thinking about downloading mandrake again and reinstalling everything. or maybe another distro? any suggestions?

Linux Guru
    I don't know what is on the second CD, but I wouldn't think that that's the problem. It doesn't seem as if there's simply a missing file.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast