Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, so i am trying to install apollon, but there are a few plugins needed, one of them are giFT . so i have giFT curs installed but it can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can someone help me with giFT ???

ok, so i am trying to install apollon, but there are a few plugins needed, one of them are giFT . so i have giFT curs installed but it can't connect to daemon at local host, i'm assuming it's my router? but anyways i am trying to get everything needed for apollon installed and when i try to install libgiFT0 installed i get this error

error: failed dependencies:
    libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by libgiFT0-0-0.cvs042103.3plf
    RESULT=1

i have kinda looked around and this seems like it may end up being a lot of work..someone please help me

Linux Guru
    It probably means that you have downloaded an RPM that is compiled for another distro than yours. Try finding one for your distro instead.

Just Joined!
    i have mandrake 9.0 and am just having so many probs trying to get a decent file sharing prog for linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, decent filesharing programs are hard to come by in linux, it's one of its major downfalls.
    the only two that are really good are kazaalite thru wine and gIFT which are both major pitas. i've never used gift, but i may try it again since it is easy for me to get the packages with the distro I am using these days (Arch)

basically, as logic would dictate, the larger the database availability and therefore the reward, the harder it is to install.

here are some others you can try (ranked in order of ease of install and use)

gtk-gnutella (mp3's mostly0
    xmule/lmule, edonkey, mldonkey (mostly vds, movies, requires you to leave it running for a long time as you are in queue)
    limewire (mostly mp3's, requires java and for you to do some editing to put it in your PATH)
    kazaalite thru wine (mp3's galore, cam movies, some divx) install - consider it an independent personal journey.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Linux Guru
    Or DC-GUI, if you fancy Direct Connect like I do.

Linux Enthusiast
    I do fancy direct connect, but I find it hard to find good hubs sometimes. And most ppl don't have 20+GB's to share like I do.

Linux Guru
    I really like Direct Connect. Of course, the hub list can be rather sparse at times, but I can almost always find what I'm looking for.
    Also, I wrote my own "UNIX style" Direct Connect daemon, which I wrote an "auto downloader" front-end to, which does all my downloading for me. I basically give it the name of a TV series that I want, and it gets it for me. Clearly one of my best inventions ever. =)

Linux Enthusiast
    sounds interesting for sure. and you can manage to get decent speeds from it?
    I generally use xmule and I really like it, but the one drawback is staying online long because you need to in order to get higher up in the queue list.

Linux Guru
    I certainly get good download speeds. Of course, not many are capable of sending very fast, but my peak download speed has been the same as my downstream bandwidth limit at 2.5 Mbps. Usually, I get download speeds of around 20-30 KB/s or so. The autodownloader also keeps a database of all users that it has downloaded from in order to choose the fastest one that it recognizes.

The thing is that the DC daemon itself is a bit buggy. I haven't suffered that much from the bugs, though, and therefore I haven't fixed them, and I don't think that many others use this. I have decided to rewrite the whole program from scratch instead, but I haven't gotten around to it. It is GPL'd of course; if you want to check it out, go here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcprod/

Just Joined!
    giFTcurs is the client. You also need the daemon. Last time I checked, it was called giftd. Start that, then your clients should be able to connect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast