Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
what's a nice thin html editing application? All I want is something that will color code code, friendly directory navigation and allow custom insert/wraps? Doesn't have to be HTML specific ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    d0p
    Just Joined!

linux html editor

what's a nice thin html editing application? All I want is something that will color code code, friendly directory navigation and allow custom insert/wraps? Doesn't have to be HTML specific but will allow plugins that will color code according to page extension. Oh, and tabbed browsing of open documents. Basically a plain vanilla Dreamweaver.

Is there a plain vanilla Dreamweaver app for linux?

Linux User
    I'm not sure about a vanilla HTML editor, but there's an HTML editor called bluefish (I've never tried it though): http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

d0p
    Just Joined!
    thanks. looks like it supports everything i need.

i'm still interested in more suggestions so i can make a wieghted decision. i'm sure there's plenty out there...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    It is hard to beat emacs or its cousin xemacs. The learning curve is a little steep but you can start out with the basics and work your way into the rest of the features.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

I use Bluefish. But it's a full-fledged HTML editor, with syntax highlighting, multiple pages open, tag library, etc.

There's also Quanta, which is similar...

In Bluefish, you can have multiple pages open as well.

Are you looking for a WYSIWYG? If so, you can take a look at Mozilla Composer.

If you want a barebones HTML editor, just go for Vi, since Emacs is foul and heinous. It takes a little bit to get used to, but it's a very powerful editor. And it has syntax highlighting for every language I've heard of, and tons that I've not.

d0p
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I use Bluefish. But it's a full-fledged HTML editor, with syntax highlighting, multiple pages open, tag library, etc.

There's also Quanta, which is similar...

In Bluefish, you can have multiple pages open as well.

Are you looking for a WYSIWYG? If so, you can take a look at Mozilla Composer.

If you want a barebones HTML editor, just go for Vi, since Emacs is foul and heinous. It takes a little bit to get used to, but it's a very powerful editor. And it has syntax highlighting for every language I've heard of, and tons that I've not.
    haha from what i hear the vi / emac crowd is quite divided. I've used vi and never emacs. I just wanted a simple html editor ya know? Compact w/ a directory browser, syntax highlighter, custom snippets, yada yda. Nothing crazy. Bluefish may be a good choice. Especially if it is supported by openoffice which is obviously isn't going to go stale. I'm studying code right now and maybe I'll make my own....one day. one day.

There was a project a was interested in a while back that was built in XUL? as a firefox plugin. I have the bookmark stored on a downed box...hmmm maybe i'll google for it. I'm just looking for something super thin and little dependency as possible

over and :q

d0p
    Just Joined!
    Found it. It's called NVU. http://www.nvu.com/ sweet. the things you remember year later.

d0p
    Just Joined!
    a little update... i tried nvu and it's almost what i wanted but it hides all open docs tabs when in source view. which sucks because this is where i spend all my time. it never renders properly in html view (if your coding correctly so that's out... i think bluefish is going to be the winner as long as it doesn't hide the tabs (who would? honestly? who throws a shoe? you fight like a woman.)

Yeah, Bluefish lines them up along the bottom.

It's a good editor .

d0p
    Just Joined!
    bluefish is sweet. i like it very much from what i've seen of it so far. it's exactly what i wanted in a editor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast