Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, and thanks a lot for your help earlier. I have a problem that's not serious, but annoying nonetheless. Everytime someone logins to Linux on my network, he/she has to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound volume at Linux boot - how do I set it?

Hello, and thanks a lot for your help earlier.
    I have a problem that's not serious, but annoying nonetheless. Everytime someone logins to Linux on my network, he/she has to use alsamixer to change his/her volumes (such as Master, PCM, Video, PC Speakers). While this doesn't bother me, the other user is complaining loudly about it. I'm starting to think it might be easier just to make it so alsamixer is set to certain values whenever Linux starts. However, Alsamixer includes no option for specifying volumes on the command line.

So I ask you this: If not through Alsamixer, then how can I set certain audio volumes to certain values every time Linux boots? I realize that just modifying the ".xserverrc" files is probably an easier option, but, again, I'm not sure how to set alsamixer to certain values on the command line.

Thanks in advance!

Linux Engineer
    $ alsamixer

modify the settings to your liking - press M to (un)mute a channel, use the arrows to adjust the sound level, then do:

# alsactl store

and you're set
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    This is just what I needed. Thank you.

Just Joined!
    Using alsactl store to set sound levels on boot is what I was looking for as well.

thank you.

Just Joined!

Thanks

I stumbles on to this form and use what you suggested to handle my volume problem and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks.
    Darrell Hare (harecanada)

Quote Originally Posted by harecanada View Post
    I stumbles on to this form and use what you suggested to handle my volume problem and it worked perfectly.
    Thanks.
    Darrell Hare (harecanada)
    Don't bump 2 year old threads to thank people....... :/