Find the answer to your Linux question:
I searched the forums to find out if apt-get works in mandrake, but i didn't see anything written. I also did a google search and found some instructions for redhat: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

apt-get with mandrake

I searched the forums to find out if apt-get works in mandrake, but i didn't see anything written. I also did a google search and found some instructions for redhat:

In order to use this repository, you must first install the APT-RPM package on your system: get the binary RPM here. The source RPM packages, should you need them, can be found here.

Next, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add the relevant lines for your distribution. For example, my /etc/apt/sources.list contains:

rpm ftp://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/apt redhat/9/en/i386 os updates extra
    rpm-src ftp://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/apt redhat/9/en/i386 os updates extra

Run apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get install foo...

would this work for mandrake 9.0 also just replacing "redhat" with mandrake?

Linux Engineer
    That utility is only for redhat. I checked and they didnt have a mandrake repository. It might work if you can find one somewhere.

Just Joined!
    so apt-get won't work for mandrake w/o a repository for it (mandrake)

Linux Guru
    Nope; you need packages that match your distro.

Linux Engineer
    Heheh, the power of Debian. =)
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    I am a newbie to linux, but i'm here to stay...I love linux, except those damn rpm's i'm not a big fan of them and am looking towards Gentoo after I switch out my cd rom (not recognized by installer)dependencies are killing me and from what i read apt-get fixes this problem. urpmi sucks in that i tried to instal wine using that and got a build that was a year old. I have texstar along with others in my software database but i'm still finding a better distro w/o rpm's

Linux Guru
    Just remember that you can always download the source and compile it instead. The source code is almost always distro-independent.

Just Joined!
    i kinda tried that but i was having probs with my gcc, it said there wasn't a c compiler in $ path or something like that. I checked yesterday and have a compiler installed. I am going to change distros i think i am just not sure which one Mepis(debian), gentoo, or lunar

Linux Engineer
    Something like gcc should be fairly simple to install using rpm. I'd advise on novices to avoid compiling source unless they absolutely have to. I find that there are appropriate times to compile and other times when I'll install the precompiled binaries such as .rpm or in my case .deb.

I believe apt-rpm is available for Red Hat at this time. I can't answer about it's efficiency but I'm guessing that it's fairly reliable. I'd also state to sway away from Debian unless you've read the installation manual because it is harder than other distros. However, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. After all, if I can do it, then everyone can.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    but i read that mepis is pretty easy to install.