Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to convert my DivX files to Video CD's... I have about 150 movies that are taking up a LOT of space... Anyone that has done this successfully could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

DivX to VCD

I want to convert my DivX files to Video CD's... I have about 150 movies that are taking up a LOT of space... Anyone that has done this successfully could you please share how you have done it?!?

Cole

Linux Guru
    That's not a very good idea; VCD compression (it's MPEG, right?) is much worse than DivX, and converting from one lossy format to another is generally not a very good idea.
    If I were you, I'd just buy a new hard drive instead. Provided that you have the money, of course, but they are pretty cheap nowadays.
    Another thing that you could do (admittedly not very nice, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work) is use dd to split the files into a number of smaller files that fit on a CD. Then, when you want to watch the movie, just cat all the segments to reassemble the original file on your hard drive. When you're done watching it, just delete it.

In any case, I wouldn't convert them to VCD, but maybe that's just me.

Linux Newbie
    I ma aware of the quality loss - when converiting between lossy compression schemes - but I would like to do it anyway...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close