Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok to start off, I'm still somewhat new to Linux. I have Mandrake 9.1, and am going through similar install issues as the Xime/mplayer post. I had to get GCC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling/installing help

Ok to start off, I'm still somewhat new to Linux. I have Mandrake 9.1, and am going through similar install issues as the Xime/mplayer post. I had to get GCC working, and I did. I'm trying to install GAIM, but during the process it told me i had to install GLIB 2.0, so I went to go find that. Trying to install GLIB, it told me I had to go find GETTEXT whatever. So I got that, and made it through the 'configure' and 'make' process, but 'make install' process gave me an error.

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/share/aclocal': Permission denied

I've had problems putting things in that directory before, but didnt think it'd matter until now.
    How do i allow access into there?

Thanks!

Ross

Linux Engineer
    to run the "make instal" command you have too be root as it is installing files into directories other than /home/Faded_Circle/ and as a normal user you only have write acsess to that directory.
    so, after running "configure" and "make" type "su" and enter your root password hit return and you will see a "#" at the start of the line meaning you are now the root user. now type "make install" and it should work

Just Joined!
    That worked. I installed GETTEXT, and GLIB 2.2.3, but now i went back to install GAIM, and it said GLIB wasnt installed, and I did install it.

configure: error: Library requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.1.4 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.0.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

--Ross

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Did you install glib through an RPM? In that case, you will most likely also need the glib-devel package. The glib package only contains files necessary to actually run programs that use glib; the glib-devel package contains the header files and stuff that are required to compile programs to use glib.

Just Joined!
    No, it was through a gz archive. I'll go look for the glib devel package right now.

--Ross

Just Joined!
    lol...ok now i got an error installing the GLIB devel package.

Conflicts were detected:

GLIB 1.3.15 is needed by glib-devel-1.3.15-1
    libglib-1.3.so.15 is needed by glib dvel-1.3.15-1
    libgobject-1.3.so.15 is needed by glib-devel-1.3.15-1

Installation aborted.

--Ross

Just Joined!
    alright im getting frusterated lol. I need to get GLIB installed, and its supposedly installed, but says its installed incorrectly.

I've tried downloading everything GLIB oriented, and it isnt working.

Need some help before I gotta dump some water over my head

--Ross

Linux Guru
    If you installed glib from source, then the development files should have come with it. However, there is a possible explanation. Check what is in your /etc/ld.so.conf; look for a line saying /usr/local/lib. If it isn't there, add it and run ldconfig to update the cache. Then try again.

Just Joined!
    i think i have it fixed now, i uninstalled GCC and reinstalled it. Not sure how that fixed it.