Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had a terrible time finding a good music manager and player for Linux. XMMS is okay as a player, but doesn't sound great. And it has absolutely no media ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Music Manager / Player

I've had a terrible time finding a good music manager and player for Linux.

XMMS is okay as a player, but doesn't sound great. And it has absolutely no media management.

I've tried Juk, but it's not great either. It just presents all the files in one giant list.

Is there anything better? How do serious music fans who use Linux organize their music, edit ID3 tags, and whatnot?

Linux Engineer
    I don think ive stubled over anyone, You can play music in xmms,Winamp for linux,mplayer... I dont know if there are any real "music management program" for linux like you discribe.

Id3-tags can be manipulated form the commandline with a litte regexp program...
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!

Zinf

I've been looking at Zinf. Any opinions on it?

Linux Engineer
    in xmms right click any song in the playlist and select "view file info" you can edit id3 info there. if you want to create a playlist file with xmms then:
    right click the playlist window;click playlist;click save

I hav not tryed or heard of zinf. got a link?

Linux Guru
    I have to agree with andutt: Write a small shell or perl script that sets the ID3 tag automatically from the filename or something.

What do you have against the sound of XMMS? Check so that it isn't using the ESS output plugin or somethign equally stupid. Use only OSS (or ALSA, if your distro uses it). If that won't cut it, just use mpg321 with -vo oss. And same there, to create playlists and stuff, just write a shell script. Or use LIRC and lirccd if you have a remote control connected to your computer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    in xmms right click any song in the playlist and select "view file info" you can edit id3 info there. if you want to create a playlist file with xmms then:
    right click the playlist window;click playlist;click save

I hav not tryed or heard of zinf. got a link?
    http://www.zinf.org/

It rocks, from what I've used of it.

It's the first music manager I've ever used that lets you change ID3 tags in batches, and while the tracks are playing.