Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by jwf perhaps a different distro may prove to be easier than beating this dead horse for much longer. (I have lots of free space on my Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jwf
    perhaps a different distro may prove to be easier than beating this dead horse for much longer. (I have lots of free space on my Linux hard drive)
    That very well may be the best solution. If you like Fedora, you might try out Blag. It has a lot of proprietary codecs and software preinstalled and it all fits on one CD. It's Fedora-based, but it uses the apt/Synaptic way of installing software (like Debian-based distros). You may also want to try out Mepis--it's bloated with all sorts of software (scanning software, K3B, Azureus... a whole bunch). I can't tell you how many times I see people posting here because they tried to Yum something and couldn't work out the dependencies. Try a Debian-based distro and apt-get your way easily to software:

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/winuxinstall.php

Linux Engineer
    Try disabling all yum repos except base (in /etc/yum.conf change enabled=0 for everything but base).

Quote Originally Posted by jwf
    psic:
    I agree. I just made a discovery on the k3b website. It seems K3b is optimized for the KDE desktop environment. I am using Gnome. Do you suppose this is the reason this application will not install?

Thanks for your help.
    Well, it shouldn't be, but in any case it would have a ton of KDE dependancies. I had a similar problem as I use Xfce and I didn't want to install anything KDE. I found a nice program for burning CD's (it can make audio cd's, but I haven't tried it) called Graveman:
    http://graveman.tuxfamily.org/

It's built on Gtk, which means it is great for Gnome (and Xfce). It will have much less dependencies and it will probably start a bit quicker than K3B on your sistem.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    jwf

installing K3b - resolved!

Bingo! Changing the yum.conf file did the trick!
    Thank you a thing That was what I needed to know. Tell me, had I read the yum users guide inside and out, would this have come to light? How did you know this was going to be helpful?

Thanks again.
    Ubuntu 11.04 on IBM ThinkCentre
    Fedora, VMware Player (windows xp,Knoppix 6.5) on Lenovo Laptop
    GRUB Fedora / Windows 7, VMware Player (Windows 2008 server) on NCIX quad core PC.

jwf

one last update....

Update: got K3b installed OK, then found that the level I installed did not support .mp3 files. The k3b website: http://www.k3b.org/ did have information on another user that put together some update RPM's for FC3 & FC4. at version 12. Also the .rpm's were there to process mp3 files on version 12.
    Just finished burning a cd an am now playing on my stereo. k3b is very easy to use.

Thanks guys for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2