Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I would like to know of the best program to convert some MP3 music files to normal CD player format during a write process to a CD-R disk. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jwf

Convert MP3 to standard CD format

Hi, I would like to know of the best program to convert some MP3 music files to normal CD player format during a write process to a CD-R disk. I am using FC3.

Thanks

jwf
    Thank you aysiu for your reply,
    I installed cdrdao, created the mkcdrtoc file. I get some errors due to the length of the filename, so I created a new directory, copied some .mp3 files and ran the mkcdrtoc command and my system seems to not recognize the mpg123 command. Is this specific to Debian? I am running FC3.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    K3b can create audio cd's from mp3's. Here's a link to the rpm's for Fedora. http://k3b.xcyb.org/

Screenshot
    http://londojowo.hypermart.net/K3b.jpg

jwf
    Thanks LondoJowo,
    I tried installing K3b with yum (added the suggested lines in the yum.conf file), but the install fails with some missing dependancies. I searched the RPM database and got the dependancies, installed them, then reran yum.
    I get the following message:
    Dependencies Resolved
    Transaction Listing:
    Install: k3b.i386 0:0.11.24-1.xcyb.fc3 - k3b-0.11.24-1.xcyb.fc3.i386.rpm

Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
    Install: kdelibs.i386 6:3.4.2-0.fc3.2 - updates-released
    Total download size: 30 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    (1/1): kdelibs-3.4.2-0.fc 100% |=========================| 16 MB 04:42
    warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 87e600b8
    public key not available for k3b-0.11.24-1.xcyb.fc3.i386.rpm
    [root@localhost My Downloads]#
    From the above, can I assume K3b installed OK and there is just a warning message?

If it did install, I cannot find it to start it.

Any idea how to reslove this?
    Thanks
    Ubuntu 11.04 on IBM ThinkCentre
    Fedora, VMware Player (windows xp,Knoppix 6.5) on Lenovo Laptop
    GRUB Fedora / Windows 7, VMware Player (Windows 2008 server) on NCIX quad core PC.

Quote Originally Posted by jwf
    Code:
    warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 87e600b8
    public key not available for k3b-0.11.24-1.xcyb.fc3.i386.rpm
    [root@localhost My Downloads]#
    From the above, can I assume K3b installed OK and there is just a warning message?

If it did install, I cannot find it to start it.

Any idea how to reslove this?
    Thanks
    Keys not available are usually just a warning that the person who uploaded the file didn't sign it first, or if they did you don't have the appropriate key downloaded to your local system. Most of the time this is nothing to worry about.

If you want to know if something installed, the easiest way I can think of is try to launch it. Open up a console and try typing:
    Code:
    k3b
    If it runs, it's installed. If you get a "command not found" error, it's not.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

jwf
    I tried running the program but got the "command not found" error, suggesting that the program did not install.
    Well, I'm at a loss now. If I run 'YUM' it ends without error, yet when I do a 'locate k3b', I only get a response of 2 .rpm files I downloaded.

In the previous displayed 'transaction log', it shows an dependacy update of 30M is required for download. I responded yes to proceed and only 16M downloaded when the install ended.
    If I respond 'no' then I get:
    Code:
    Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
      Install: kdelibs.i386 6:3.4.2-0.fc3.2 - updates-released
    Total download size: 22 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: n
    Exiting on user Command
    Complete!
    [root@localhost ~]# k3b
    -bash: k3b: command not found
    Could it be that because the total update was not downloaded, the install failed?

jwf
    Hey folks, I could really use some assistance here. I am finding that the 'basics' seems to work fine in Linux, but the use of the extra hardware is proving to be very difficult to launch. DVD playing, CD R/W, Music creation on CR-R discs. Scanner, PC FAX program, e.t.c.
    I'm have to reboot XP just to get some simple stuff done in these areas. (I need to keep XP around for some programs that just are not available in Linux [Band in a box, CorelDraw12, Phonetools, e.t.c.]).
    The experiance of trying to get k3b installed is typical of my experiances with Linux installs. I'm pretty sure my hardware is OK and is compatible with Linux drivers, but perhaps a different distro may prove to be easier than beating this dead horse for much longer. (I have lots of free space on my Linux hard drive)

I this instance of installing k3b, I'm wondering if I resort to downloading source code and compile it on this kernel
    might be a better solution. (I've found a tutorial that outlines the download,compile, & install of k3b)

Is there any merit to removing all traces to k3b, then retrying another install?

Thanks.

Well, you could install it by compiling from source, but in my opinion it should be easier to install with a package manager. Try reinstalling the rpm (can't you install it with yum with 'yum install k3b', I thought yum resolved dependencies a bit like apt-get for debian?)
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

jwf
    psic:
    I agree. I just made a discovery on the k3b website. It seems K3b is optimized for the KDE desktop environment. I am using Gnome. Do you suppose this is the reason this application will not install?

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast