Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
does anyone know how to install DirectX in the regular version of wine or if it is even possible?? the CVS version of WineX kept giving me errors and such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

wine

does anyone know how to install DirectX in the regular version of wine or if it is even possible?? the CVS version of WineX kept giving me errors and such (i expected as much, given the nature of CVS..)... all i wanna do is play Baldur's Gate and C&C Tiberian Sun....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Can you get WineX in binary form, instead of CVS? I've read a few blogs about the CVS version not having everything that the binaries have.

Just a thought, from someone trying to get wine to work still

Linux Engineer
    i have no way to pay transgaming for the subscription (i am one of the few people that does *not* have a CC or anything similar)... so i can't just d/l the binaries from transgaming.. if i could get my hands on the stable source it would help me immensely.. but i don't know anyone around here the uses linux that could burn me a cd with the sources on it... unless someone wants to be kind enough to DCC them to me at some time through IRC....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have the same prob. Your post prompted me to do some reading on winehq, in the few areas I haven't been to already. It's supposed to have support for directsound and directdraw, as well as limited support for direct3d. The way it looks, you still can't do the latest directx with it, but most of it should function.

I'm d/ling the latest binaries for wine now, but I'm on that 10 hours a month plan from my ISP. Looks like it'll be next month before I can tell you what I find out.

On a side note, I got Exult last time online, and have it working decent now.(no sound, monitor doesn't like the res it uses) The ultima series was always a fav

If the game uses opengl, you can enable opengl support in wine when your are compiling it. Atleast you could do so with previous relesese of wine, and I don't think the support is taken away.

IIRC its as simple as ./configure --enable-opengl or something similar

Good luck

10 hours/month? I would die...I'm online more than that every week.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    lol. well considering my connection is usually up all day, i'd be really screwed if i was on a plan like that.

with that kind of plan, im sure it takes great time management skills. what ISP are you using though? i haven't heard of an ISP restricting time like that since AOL back in the mid 90's.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

I Norway, the biggest ADSL ISP has now come up with a max download plan.. Its like, you pay, about $40 and get to download 5 gigabyte pr. month if I remeber things correctly.

After you have reached that limit, things go in single ISDN speed, like 64k on broadband. I'm glad I don't have that plan

Yeh i dont get isp's one reason for broadband is its quick so you can download big files one of there selling points, But then they put a cap the downstream to a set limit which avoids the point. You might as well get cable if you use broadband for just surfing.

Linux Engineer
    well, i got baldur's gate to run, but the keyboard doesn't work in-game... anyone have any ideas on how to fix it??? btw, i'm running a regular ver of wine..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast