Find the answer to your Linux question:
who here has used submount ? it's a program that will automatically mount something (whatever you want) when it is detected (whether it's a cd in a cd drive or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

submount---review *thumbsup*

who here has used submount?

it's a program that will automatically mount something (whatever you want) when it is detected (whether it's a cd in a cd drive or a usb thumbdrive) and it will unmount it once it is taken out.

i recently tried it and absolutely love it! it's kind of outdated now (last kernel this was tested on was 2.6.3 and the last distro was Suse 9.1), but it still works like a charm! i'm running it now on my gentoo box with it automounting my 2 cd drives, my usb thumbdrive, and my floppy drive. it's very quick about mounting them too. as soon as i put a cd in or plug the thumbdrive in it's mounted.

i just wanted to put a good word in for this program...unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's being kept up with, but it works great and it's a simple idea so i don't see why it would really need to be maintained . i've been using it for a couple of days now and am very impressed

I think it's in SuSE 9.3 by default along with udev. I love the automounting in SuSE, it's sweet. But I'm not too happy about the lack of unmounting options, no context menu. It has also messed up Kwikdisk a bit from what I can see, but overall I'm happy.