Find the answer to your Linux question:
Any about? Ideally up to TopStyle standard. Failing that can I have the moon on a stick? Ta....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Style sheet editors?

Any about?

Ideally up to TopStyle standard. Failing that can I have the moon on a stick?

Ta.

Is this CSS? Or am I totally lost?

I think you can try bluefish, I do think it support CSS.
    Or else you can try quanta, not so shure about that, though

Linux Engineer
    I know Quanta supports style sheets (yes, CSS) cos I use it for my coding. But back in Windows days I used Top Style. Would love to find an css editor that's similar.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    But back in Windows days I used Top Style. Would love to find an css editor that's similar.
    hey there-- i realize this is an ancient post.... (crunch, crunch... **sounds of egg shells smashing**), but i wonder...
    since there's not a lot on this subject that i've found, specifically in regard to "Where's the TopStyle for Linux?", if you're still out there Chris, have you found anything to fill that TopStyle hole?

it installs nicely w/ WINE, but complains about running because it wants to see... what? IE4?!?!
    well-- i have IE 5, 5.5, and 6, but of course-- TS doesn't care because it can't see it-- as it would expect upon a genuine windows installation. my point-- i'll bet it would run fine, if i could tell it how to see those IE's! i've checked files in the TS directory, under the WINE simulaiton, and nothing makes much sense to me-- other than the positive fact that i can't read binary.

anyone have good news for an old moaner like myself?

gedit/kate.
    "Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz

Just Joined!
    i looked around a bit for more info re: topstyle

it's by no means a dead topic, but it looks like Nick Bradbury doesn't have much interest in Linux himself. disappointing. i found that a little surprising-- in fact, looks like he's more of an anchor than on onlooker in that tug-o-war. i love his intuitive design, nonetheless.

anyone out there successfully get TopStyle to run under WinE?
    the foreground of this image illustrates what i'm looking for in a CSS editor. haven't seen it yet in a linux app-- but that doesn't mean it's not there. heck, i only realized just a few days ago that i could real-time manage my remote site, via FTP in Bluefish! doh!

EDIT:... wait, what's this Quanta Plus** (Quanta+)?!? how did i miss it! this is cool!... why is this not totally raved for web dev'rs?
    (now, just gotta get that Tidy plugin...hehe)

**not to be confused w/ commercial "Quanta"!!

Just Joined!

Wink

i think i'm okay on this topic now, but i wanted to share w/ you another resource i just stumbled upon:

http://tips.webdesign10.com/good-css...r-linux-ubuntu
    http://tips.webdesign10.com/general/ubuntu

Linux Newbie
    I use Quanta, but Bluefish, Nvu, and gPHPEdit are other options that I'm aware of.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabarese
    ..... if you're still out there Chris, have you found anything to fill that TopStyle hole?
    No, but I almost have the moon on a stick.

In reality I just learnt to hand code css. Much better.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    In reality I just learnt to hand code css. Much better.
    ah ha! that's cool!! good for you!

but if you weren't hand-coding CSS before i'm a little bit confused as to why you were using top-style at all?

top-style appeals to me particularly because its the only editor of its kind (to my knowledge) which generates a "preview" of the declaration block. so-- that's what i'm looking for... more of a quick reference-- especially if you've got a lot of id's and classes, etc. i'm not aware of any other use than that...

actually, i guess it makes for a good "syntax" checker, supported by syntax highlighting... easy to check your CSS for errors just by a quick scan of the code, to locate and correct them. i've used it for that a lot-- basically any situation where a preview, and spot-checking the code is helpful