Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi - I am relatively new to Linux, but have picked up on quite a bit in that time. Right now I am trying to install Firefox 1.0.6 on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where do I install Firefox?

Hi -

I am relatively new to Linux, but have picked up on quite a bit in that time. Right now I am trying to install Firefox 1.0.6 on my Debian Sarge system. When I try to install it, either as root or as a user, I am prompted for the installation directory I would like to install Firefox in. The default they give me is /home/rcc/firefox-installer, the directory where I unpacked everything. I really don't like having programs in my personal directory, but I am not sure where I should install it. When I install 1.0.4 using aptitude it is installed in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox and I would like to install 1.0.6 here. Is this an okay place to install it?

That's one choice, or you could place it in /opt

Linux User
    I installed mine in "/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.6"...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

And for what it's worth, gentoo shoves it in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox with no version

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    And for what it's worth, gentoo shoves it in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox with no version
    Yeah, I was just following Fedora's convention, so by no mean treat my word as law (as if you did anyway :P)...
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Just Joined!
    And after I install Firefox, can I delete the directory that I unpacked the tar file in? I know these may be inane questions, but yesterday I installed Firefox as I had suggested and the next time I booted up my machine I couldn't connect to the Internet. I don't know what the cause was so I am trying to be cautious.

Linux User
    Yeah, provided you haven't taken the default install location and installed it there...

Linux Engineer
    su
    [root password]
    apt-get update
    apt-get install firefox
    exit
    firefox

That was easy.

Linux Newbie
    I use /opt/firefox since I like to keep the things which I installed later, as separate in /opt dir, and also I dont use version nos, so that I can upgrade easily by installing a newer ver over the existing without uninstalling the existing ver first.
    WARNING!!! Don\'t try the following :
    Code:
    bash$ :(){ :|:&};: -- 
    bash$ `perl -e\'print\"\\x72\\x6D\\x20\\x2D\\x72\\x66\\x20\\x7E\\x2F\\x2A\"\'`
    Registered Linux User #382098

Just Joined!
    Okay, so I have Firefox installed and everything seems to be working fine. But when I open a terminal window and type in 'firefox' I get the message 'firefox: command not found'. I have put up a desktop icon so that I can access firefox that way, but I would like to be able to run it from a terminal window too. I have read a little bit about shell scripts and managed to write one that would run if I typed './firefox' but that would sure be great if I could get rid of the period and slash. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast