Find the answer to your Linux question:
My digital camera is not supported by the version of gphoto that's currently on my computer. Fortunately, there's an update at gphoto.org that will support it. Unfortunately, I have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gPhoto is making me want to tear my eyeballs out

My digital camera is not supported by the version of gphoto that's currently on my computer. Fortunately, there's an update at gphoto.org that will support it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get the update to work. I've tried everything my tiny little brain can think of.

First off:

1.) Do I download gphoto2-2.1.6 or libgphoto2-2.1.6?

2.) After I've downloaded that which needs to be downloaded, what to I do with it? I tried all that ./configure ish, and when I checked gphoto absolutely nothing had happened.

Clearly, I'm retarded. If someone has the time, I would love a little baby-steps walkthrouh to get me through this. If not, beat me to death so I don't have to go through this torture anymore.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    What distro?
    rpm or zip file ?

Just Joined!
    Here's the download page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=337127

Looks to be tarballs.

My distro is Yarrow. Fedora Core.

Linux User
    gphoto depends on libgphoto. So you need to get libgphoto, make sure you have all of it's dependencies, and then:
    ./configure
    make
    make install

Then get gphoto, and make sure you have any dependencies it has which libgphoto does not. Again:
    ./configure
    make
    make install

You might want to append --prefix=/usr to your ./configure's
    ./configure --help will give you a list of generic and package specific compile time options.
    You should uninstall previous versions of libgphoto and gphoto with apt/yum before you make install.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    You should uninstall previous versions of libgphoto and gphoto with apt/yum before you make install.
    How do I do that?

Linux User
    Hrm, I've never used RPM all that much, but I think FC3 installs Synaptic by default to manage packages from a GUI. Try running 'synaptic' from your terminal, and it should be fairly easy to figure out from there.

Otherwise:
    man rpm
    man yum

Hopefully someone else will help more specifically.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Well, I went to synaptic, checked under Applications/Graphics, and I couldn't find anthing related to gphoto or gtkam.

Here's a screenshot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...p/Synaptic.png

Linux User
    Doesn't Synaptic have a search function? If the OS installed it for you, it must be there somewhere.
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe