Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed GENTOO on my 180 Mhz PPC laptop -> My first successful configuration and compile of the LINUX KERNEL YAY -> My dilemma is that since the system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

a laptop and a dilemma -

I just installed GENTOO on my 180 Mhz PPC laptop -> My first successful configuration and compile of the LINUX KERNEL YAY ->

My dilemma is that since the system is sooo incredibly old and SLOW! Ineed some applications that aren't resource hogs - (i.e. I don't want to use KDE or GNOME libs... GTK is OK) Here's what I need... I'm going to be running XFCE 4 as soon as it finishes compiling :o

Web browser - ligthweight - no special features - NOT commandline
    Email client - again NOT commandline
    GAIM-like app... not KDE or GNOME libs - GTK
    Lightweight wordprocessor - not commandline - RTF format a must
    lightweight spreadsheet - not commandline - CSV format a must
    lightweight XMMS style app that plays OGG and MP3 - not commandline

GTK frontends to commandline utilities are fine as I know that's the case for a lot of programs

Also, is there such thing as a settings manager - where when I'm at work my network is set up on dhcpcd and at home it's manually configured?

How do I set the default volume of the DMASOUND_PMAC driver to something other than 100% - the pbbuttonsd setting doesn't appear to function.

How can I set up gtkpbbuttons to launch when I start X?

DAMNIT - I just remember that the laptop is still configured for work and it's at home and I'm out of town and I wanted to have all 41 packages updated and installed when I got back as it's going to take all weekend... bummer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cole

Linux Engineer
    Here is what I would install. I don't have too much knowledge of how much resources each take up but I think these should be fine.

lightweight browser - Mozilla firebird ?
    email client - ?
    GAIM - gaim
    lightweight wordprocessor - abiword
    lightweight spreadsheet - ...
    lightweight XMMS - xmms

I'm actually quite shocked that you would even install X on a 180Mhz. I have an old 450Mhz and I don't have X on that machine. Still, everyone has different tastes. =)
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie

X

Well it's nice that I typically can run the applications on my 2.6P4 downstairs OR the iMac when I'm at work -- these are for when i'm on the road and don't have access to the systems to SSH into

Cole

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Hmm, do you absolutely need to install all these programs? You should be able to run X and SSH into those machines on the road and use the programs on those machines. Of course the connection might not be so smooth but your laptop is a pretty old system.

Linux Newbie
    Not possible - the home system uses dialup...

Linux Engineer
    My mistake. I was reading too fast and missed that you said that you don't have access to a remote machine. In that case, you'd definetly have to install all the components but w/that laptop, it's going to be very very slow to have X on it. You can surely forget about using a desktop so you can look into window managers like blackbox. How much memory do you have?

Linux Newbie
    currenly I'm running WindowMaker - it has 96M of RAM ->