Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm using wine to try and run the windows program Sibelius 3 on my mandrake gnome desktop. However, when you open a document, the toolbox windows appear, and there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows program and window managers

Hi. I'm using wine to try and run the windows program Sibelius 3 on my mandrake gnome desktop. However, when you open a document, the toolbox windows appear, and there is some rendering problem there, so the program crashes instantly. At the wine app database entry for sibelius, a guy says he has been able to run sibelius, but only using the Ion window manager. My question is, courld there be a way to work around this, so I don't have to change window manager? Or can I set it up somehow so that I can run Ion only when I run sibelius and then go back to the regular gnome wmanager? I'm a newbie at window managers, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    you could run ion in "Xnest" however i dont see why it "only runs in ion" that cant be correct. to get better results with wine you should make sure you have certain aplications installed (under wine). fire up "winetools" and install all the base packages (including dcom98 and ie) this can make the difference between running an app under wine and not being able to.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it sounded an awful lot like the guy just wanted to do some advertising for Ion. Thanks a lot for the tips! I'll try them out as soon as possible.